Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Actually, you can buy electric pipe heaters with a thermostat. Just tape them to the pipes and plug them in. Worked great in a plumbed barn at our last place.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
...But yeah Bill I'm probably interested in your furnace, let's talk!
I understand from my second heating/AC contractor (), that it is a Carrier builder quality (no particular manufacturer is stamped on the panel) 90% 100K BTU single stage furnace. Works great. One year old.

The reason it was removed: the first heating/AC contractor bid a 100K furnace. He didn't realize the basement was finished (guess it was hidden somewhere on page 2 of the blueprints, where the basement was shown...duh), and I needed more capacity than 100K. So his bright idea was to put in a second furnace, I could have two heat zones, he would make me a sweetheart deal, etc. The only problem was, I now had TOO MUCH furnace, and neither was efficient as a result. I paid twice for 90% efficiency, and got ~50%.

That's where I got me some skoolin' & learnt schtuff 'bout heat. And right after that I had some heated conversations with the general, who had some with the HVAC guy. He gave me some money back (not enough) and I paid to have a 120K system put in. And ONE AC unit. DOH!

$350 to any club member. You cannot beat that with a stick. I was thinking about putting it in my garage but I don't want to run a gas line out to it just now. Come take it from my driveway! (yes, it is covered)
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I can't believe I didn't recommend heat tape! Being associated with Mobile Homes Heat tape is common ground. I guess I was sucked into the dual zone single circuit topic and ignored the obvious. Heat tape is all thermostatically controlled and needs not extra devices (other than electricity).
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I went up to the house last night, just to check on things and make sure all was well. Assuming we don't run out of propane (tank was at 9%, they come on Thursday) then everything should be fine. As suspected, it was really warm down in the crawlspace. I put a remote sensor to one of those thermometers that records max and min values down there, will let it gather some data and I'll see what the story is this weekend. My suspicion is it's just as warm in the crawlspace as it is upstairs, when the furnace is on.

I'll look for some heat tape though, good idea. Sometimes I wonder why I feel the need to reinvent everything..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cuz you are a geek. I am too.
I once disassembled a motorcycle only to discover it was out of gas.
I once chased a phantom ghost voltage source in field wiring in a building, only to discover it was a ground fault. It was a wet ground fault on concrete (base) with zinc-plated steel and copper (sound like a battery to you? Yup). But it was a simple ground fault.

Sometimes ya just gots to stop overthinking stuff.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:

Bwahahahahaha!!!!

BTW, I took yesterday and today off work, have been up at the house. I've learned that the coldest my crawl space ever gets (with the heat on) is about 45°, and it gets up to 52° right after a big heat cycle.. both marks were on 1/21, the coldest day this week. Since yesterday, the heat hasn't been on I've been heating exclusively with wood.. and the crawl space is still @ 49°F. I don't think it got above 30 today, at least not according to the car when I jumped in to head back down to town. So it looks like I'm heating my crawlspace with the wood stove, and having the thermometer there is a nice reassurance.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

I once (last year) tore through the entire electrical system on my camper till Robbie pointed out the plug was bent and one prong wasn't full engaged dooohhh
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i