Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Drywall anyone?

OK, almost ready to drywall the new passthrough in the kitchen. Just the edges of the new passthrough and a couple of feet on one side of the wall where I had to open the wall to move the electrical wires. I don't mind hanging the drywall. I HATE the mud. (hmm...ih8mud...good idea for a website!) Anyway, anyone have a cheap guy who is a good drywaller?

Thanks.

T
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 01-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

I just did a ton of drywall repair and replacement in our new place. The sanding was the worst part. I took my time and applied the mud in three coats over three days, sanding between coats. Primed and painted on the fourth. Not tough work, just really really messy! I used the fabric tape which was nice and easy compared to the paper stuff.

'85 FJ60
Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have done it many times....I just HATE it. We had a leak in the shower upstairs when we move din back in '99. After I replaced the shower I cut out a 3' x 3' section of ceiling. The local handyman wanted $300 to drywall that hole! It took me 2 weeks of mudding and sanding, but it looks perfect now. But I HATE the sanding...plus this is a high visibility area, would be good for it to be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I just did a ton of drywall repair and replacement in our new place. The sanding was the worst part. I took my time and applied the mud in three coats over three days, sanding between coats. Primed and painted on the fourth. Not tough work, just really really messy! I used the fabric tape which was nice and easy compared to the paper stuff.
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 01-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm no pro but the less excess mud you leave on the wall, the less sanding you have to do. That makes it go much faster. That and a thick texture coat to cover the oops
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wag is right, skim as thin a coat of mud with an 6" blade and sand. Next use a 8-10" blade and feather, again very thin and sand. Now use a 10-12" blade and feather out till you use no texture and sand again. Now texture to your hearts content ;-)

BTW I am retired from this, won't even do my own basement when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me