Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Default monday nights @ 21:00

145.145 to start

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

I was wanting to, but the truck is outside and its doing a great impersonation of Minneapolis (Freakin cold brrrrrr)
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

If I can stay up that late, I'll be on. Due to FCC regulations I will be unable to give an accurate word for word run down of my road trip with Ige and Timm, but will do my best to relay the fun I had with them.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I'm gonna dink with the HT tonight. I did have the code messed up so now it should be set to 107.2.... So will it be Tightey Whiteys or Risey Suneys?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok I just came back inside since no one else was talking.. UB I'll give you a call in a few if I don't hear ya on the radio.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

KC0ZAF, KC0YRM, KC0ZAB, KC0ZIC (Ray, the fella who chatted on his VX-7R) and KD0CLY, good to hear you guys on the radio. UB, you especially were talkative! I think it might be handy to record one of those for the class as a teaching exercise. We didn't do anything particularly wrong, but I think a couple of things might be good to point out with these semi-impromptu nets.
  1. Don't forget to ID your station periodically
  2. Reference call signs and names sometimes, it's nice to hear other people call your call sign
  3. Take turns talking
  4. Leave a quiet second or two before talking
I think #3 and #4 are the things we need to work on, i.e. how the talking station gets the table. We had a great lively conversation, but only one person can talk at a time. So try to remember to work around, where the first station calls the next station to talk. Last night KC0ZAF got in first, so Tim should have been the default net controller (or really starter), passing the TX torch to Kevin and he'd pass it to me and I would pass it along, etc. There is no hard-fast rule, but getting in a rotation means we get less doubles. But the first station on had the best idea of who's on the net, so as it's getting going he should recognize the first few stations and get things rolling. Once we're in a rotation, then nets tend to keep rolling around.

The #4 thing, by leaving a short period before talking you give a breaking station the chance to announce his call sign and join in. Then the station with the floor should recognize the breaking station, just say his call sign and that you heard him, finish your thought and typically pass the control to him next. If you are the station that wants to join, just wait for a break, say your call sign and wait to be called. If you didn't hear who's all in the net, pass control back to the station that recognized you or just throw it back to the group and who's ever next should go ahead. If you listen you will hear a beep. This is called a repeater tail and it's purpose is to remind you to leave a brief pause to allow another station to break. That beep is usually about a second after the last station unkeyed his mic and that gives a period where no one is transmitting for you to break in. Get in the habit of waiting until the beep to key your mic, that's just a courteous thing to do.

Not trying to be all serious, just some pointers to keep everyone in the net. At some points the conversation become just two people, remember to say your thought and listen to other stations until it comes back around. Sometimes one station will have a specific question and that's perfectly fine. Break the rotation, ask your question and when the one-to-one topic is done, pass the net to someone who has not talked for a while. Imagine how we sit around for beers after a meeting. Picture asking the member next to you to talk and he passes the table to the next guy and so on. Same thing, just done on the radio.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Great advice! I got carried away as it was fun to actually rag chew with someone I knew! I'm sorry....rookie mistake. I'm still laughing at myself for getting tongue tied on my phonic alphabet on my Y! I laughed hard about that one! I use the phonic alphabet all the time as I'm always relating names or something to someone on the phone that spelling is important.

I still cannot believe how clear Gray, KC0ZIC, cam across! He was hitting my mobile harder than even Nak did from his mobile! Obviously, he was close proximity to the repeater station!
I promise to take a chill pill next time!

I plan on dinking with my mobile and HT and see if I can figure out the Cross Band repeat. Then I could fire a heck of a signal from the garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
KC0ZAF, KC0YRM, KC0ZAB, KC0ZIC (Ray, the fella who chatted on his VX-7R) and KD0CLY, good to hear you guys on the radio. UB, you especially were talkative! I think it might be handy to record one of those for the class as a teaching exercise. We didn't do anything particularly wrong, but I think a couple of things might be good to point out with these semi-impromptu nets.
  1. Don't forget to ID your station periodically
  2. Reference call signs and names sometimes, it's nice to hear other people call your call sign
  3. Take turns talking
  4. Leave a quiet second or two before talking
I think #3 and #4 are the things we need to work on, i.e. how the talking station gets the table. We had a great lively conversation, but only one person can talk at a time. So try to remember to work around, where the first station calls the next station to talk. Last night KC0ZAF got in first, so Tim should have been the default net controller (or really starter), passing the TX torch to Kevin and he'd pass it to me and I would pass it along, etc. There is no hard-fast rule, but getting in a rotation means we get less doubles. But the first station on had the best idea of who's on the net, so as it's getting going he should recognize the first few stations and get things rolling. Once we're in a rotation, then nets tend to keep rolling around.

The #4 thing, by leaving a short period before talking you give a breaking station the chance to announce his call sign and join in. Then the station with the floor should recognize the breaking station, just say his call sign and that you heard him, finish your thought and typically pass the control to him next. If you are the station that wants to join, just wait for a break, say your call sign and wait to be called. If you didn't hear who's all in the net, pass control back to the station that recognized you or just throw it back to the group and who's ever next should go ahead. If you listen you will hear a beep. This is called a repeater tail and it's purpose is to remind you to leave a brief pause to allow another station to break. That beep is usually about a second after the last station unkeyed his mic and that gives a period where no one is transmitting for you to break in.

Not trying to be all serious, just some pointers to keep everyone in the net. At some points the conversation become just two people, remember to say your thought and listen to other stations until it comes back around. Sometimes one station will have a specific question and that's perfectly fine. Break the rotation, ask your question and when the one-to-one topic is done, pass the net to someone who has not talked for a while. Imagine how we sit around for beers after a meeting. Picture asking the member next to you to talk and he passes the table to the next guy and so on. Same thing, just done on the radio.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Dave. Were you on? I missed you. Probably wasn't paying close enough attention. Protocol/manners are important. I'm probably a little over eager myself, still.

Kevin was asking, here is the original article I used on building a J-pole antenna. I've got a bunch of twin lead if anyone wants some.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark bait
Thanks Dave. Were you on? I missed you. Probably wasn't paying close enough attention. Protocol/manners are important. I'm probably a little over eager myself, still.
Yeah, I was on early and get in a few transmissions when you got in, but I was also on my handheld and the batteries were weak. I was inside the house with the rubber ducky, to get in I had to use 5W and I forgot to charge the radio. I heard you guys for a while, but by about 2145 I couldn't break the repeater well enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Great advice! I got carried away as it was fun to actually rag chew with someone I knew! I'm sorry....rookie mistake. I'm still laughing at myself for getting tongue tied on my phonic alphabet on my Y! I laughed hard about that one! I use the phonic alphabet all the time as I'm always relating names or something to someone on the phone that spelling is important.
No problem Kevin, it's good to be excited! Certainly don't be sorry for keying up the mic and talking! Your enthusiasm I think kept the net moving, that was cool. Not much dead air, that's for sure. It's just about taking a breath and keeping all the stations in the rotation. Just wanted to make the point so that all of us can think about our operating practices. You are still thinking like a simplex CB user and so repeater operation is sort of new. Gotta just remember that there could be 5 or 10 stations trying to use the repeater and just need to leave time for people to get in.
Quote:
I still cannot believe how clear Gray, KC0ZIC, cam across! He was hitting my mobile harder than even Nak did from his mobile! Obviously, he was close proximity to the repeater station!
I had his name as Ray, but that's the down side of an HT, the relatively crappy speaker.

A--Alfa “AL-FAH”
B--Bravo “BRAH-VOH”
C--Charlie “CHAR-LEE” or “SHAR-LEE”
D--Delta “DELL-TAH”
E--Echo “ECK-OH”
F--Foxtrot “FOKS-TROT”
G--Golf “GOLF”
H--Hotel “HOH-TELL”
I--India “IN-DEE-AH”
J--Juliett “JEW-LEE-ETT”
K--Kilo “KEE-LOH”
L--Lima “LEE-MAH”
M--Mike “MIKE”
N--November “NO-VEM-BER”
O--Oscar “OSS-CAH”
P--Papa “PAH-PAH”
Q--Quebec “KEH-BECK”
R--Romeo “ROW-ME-OH”
S--Sierra “SEE-AIR-RAH”
T--Tango “TANG-GO”
U--Uniform “YOU-NEE-FORM” or “OO-NEE-FORM”
V--Victor “VIK-TAH”
W--Whiskey “WISS-KEY”
X--X-ray “ECKS-RAY”
Y--Yankee “YANG-KEY”
Z--Zulu “ZOO-LOO”

0 - “ZEE-RO”
1 - “WUN”
2 - “TOO”
3 - “TH-UH-REE” or “TREE”
4 - “FOW-ER”
5 - “FI-IV” or “FIFE”
6 - “SIX”
7 - “SEV-EN”
8 - “ATE” or “A-IT”
9 - “NIN-ER”

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post

No problem Kevin, it's good to be excited! Certainly don't be sorry for keying up the mic and talking! Your enthusiasm I think kept the net moving, that was cool. Not much dead air, that's for sure. It's just about taking a breath and keeping all the stations in the rotation. Just wanted to make the point so that all of us can think about our operating practices. You are still thinking like a simplex CB user and so repeater operation is sort of new. Gotta just remember that there could be 5 or 10 stations trying to use the repeater and just need to leave time for people to get in.

I had his name as Ray, but that's the down side of an HT, the relatively crappy speaker.
He stated his "handle" was "Golf Romeo Alpha Yankee" earlier when Chris asked him initially for his call sign. I found that pretty CBish!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior