Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Wincher

Default Black Bear Road

Am planning my summer trips and Telluride and Black Bear Road is on the list for this summer.
I know winter snow will determine when I can run but does anyone know the best time and approximate first time you can safely do Black Bear Road? I am heading that way the first part of June for other business but figure that may be too early to off road.
Need to plan time off now and only certain days are available so would appreciate any and all help.
DesertRat........................see you all at CM06
Old 02-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

June is probably too early. They've gotten a lot of snow down there. A safe time to plan would be late July or August, in my book. Check with the USFS office, I think it's Uncompaghre NF. Let us know when you're going.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

From my understanding, the Wasatch Cruisers will be down there this year, along with the Miller family. I also plan on being there. Hope to just catch a ride with the gange, might make getting down there easier(knowing my luck). Black Bear is not that bad. Just have a little pucker factor. Make sure there is a open top Jeep(Dave Bayer) with you so you can give him crap about his open top Jeep when it's raining sidways on Engineer Pass

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Rock Stacker

They usually aim to have it cleared for the July 4 weekend, which is attainable in average snowfall years. Last winter, after the San Juans received 50% more snow than average, it opened right around July 20, which is as late as you'll see it open. I have a good friend in Ridgway who knows the head of the San Miguel Road and Bridge outfit who is responsible for clearing the roads, so I can get current info. However, the Switzerland of America Jeep tour outfit generally updates their page every Monday as things start to open. Right now, the San Juans have 55% of normal snowpack, so unless things change, look for a very early July opening.

If you can spring a trip after the first few roads open (Engineer, Cinnamon, Hurricane and Ophir--mid to late June), all the snow hanging around is a most impressive sight to see. Otherwise, wait until July 25 when all the flowers are out.

MyColorado.org (CO landscapes, destinations & trip reports)
Old 02-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Wincher

Thanks for the feeback all..... II will post in here when I am going and might be a fun trip.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Thumbs up Black bear in early Sept '05

We went down there and it was beautiful. Great weather, Columbines were out, and great views.

Wasatch Cruisers event is held every other year, and this will be the year for the 2nd Ouray Challenge. Probably late August, Early September. Shouldn't be missed! The Wasatch guys are a great bunch to wheel with. :fing:
Attached Images

Last edited by Groucho; 02-11-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
We went down there and it was beautiful. Great weather, Columbines were out, and great views.

Wasatch Cruisers event is held every other year, and this will be the year for the 2nd Ouray Challenge. Probably late August, Early September. Shouldn't be missed! The Wasatch guys are a great bunch to wheel with. :fing:

Ha, and here I was going to post a link to the thread you started from the last trip to view some pics. Gues I was to slow.....

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"