Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
He stated his "handle" was "Golf Romeo Alpha Yankee" earlier when Chris asked him initially for his call sign. I found that pretty CBish!
See, there you go. Gray it is. What did you find CBish, the 'handle' part? I've noticed that is what people call it when they say their name, not sure where it comes from and I've wondered about that.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Smile Good Operating Practice

Boy, I sure am sorry I missed monday night! Sounds like things were crazy.

UB, keep your enthusiasm level up and remember, most long and short time HAM's are all really nice people who understand the "newbie" thing. They all have been there, and that's a big part of what the hobby is about, helping the new guy. One of the biggest points that I will try and encourage on the air and during the class is--excercise some humility and you will bring the good natured spirit out of just about any HAM. The HAM community is so diverse and broad that no one can be expected to know all the different quirks of each little niche. Each repeater has different "gentleman's rules". No two are exactly the same. Just ask for suggestions and in no time flat you will sound like you've been working folks on that repeater for years.

Handle has always been used in HAM stuff as far as I can remember. When working HF, I remember the QSO(an conversation exchange between two HAM operators) always containing things like:
"Fine business, Sergio. The handle here is Nathaniel, and my QTH(Location) is Arvada, Colorado."
"Roger, Roger, Nathaniel. You are 5-9 into Madrid, Spain, QSL?(Aknowledge receipt--Did you get that?)"
"QSL, Sergio, you are also 5-9."

From one place on origins of HAM speak, here is what they say for Handle:
The term handle is an old slang term for name that goes back to the cowboys of the Old West. Telegraphers picked it up and the ham radio operators got it from them. CB operators copied the hams. For Hams it can be either the operators first name or a nickname such as Sparks or Rusty. CB'ers often use an alias such as "Three Dawg" or "Jethro"
Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

A little out of place but relevant to this thread. KD0CAW informed me last night
that KD0CLY is no longer a valid call. My new call is K0UBN! I hadn't checked in a while......I applied for this back in December! Thank you Ricardo! K0UBN clear and monitoring....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Rising Sun Commander

That's sweet UB, can you post up the link for where you applied for the vanity call sign? maybe K0NAK is available, or something similar..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

I wonder if I might get K0RCHLI... hmmm...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
That's sweet UB, can you post up the link for where you applied for the vanity call sign? maybe K0NAK is available, or something similar..
Sure. http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/vanity.html

The form is tricky. It seems fairly easy but if the i's aren't dotted and the t's crossed....you know the drill.

Red Chili, It will have to be a 1x3 or 2x3 ....do your homework off the link I posted. I stuck with K0 as its an area identifier and that works for me. Quote: "General, Technician or Technician Plus class licensees can seek a 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)--FCC call sign Groups C or D."

Yo Nak.....
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Vanity calls

Remember guys, USA call signs start with either K, W, N, or A. Most of the time vanity calls were used to maximize the ease of sending the call using morse code. For example:

My FCC issued call was KC0TXK, which in morse code was
da-di-dah, dah-di-da-dit, da-da-da-da-dah, dah, da-di-di-dah, da-di-dah.

My vanity call W0IIN in morse code is
di-da-dah, da-da-da-da-dah, di-dit, di-dit, da-dit

If I were to have gotten my grandfathers last call of W0DW(Instead of Bruce getting it) the morse code for that is
di-da-dah, da-da-da-da-dah, da-di-dit, di-da-dah.
Both much easier to send in morse code than the K call.

Now it is just for vanity purposes.

K & W are available to all amateurs with a technician class license. N used to signify "Novice" class, which is no longer used. Grandfathered Novice class licensees may renew their N callsign as long as they like, and there may be some N callsigns available.

First, the FCC does not limit the Vanity call sign choice numeral (0-9). For example, you can be a W1-land addressee(Northeast area), and have a W6 (California) type call if you so desire.

Also, aside from a very few FCC-limited choices, Extra class licensees can choose pretty much any vacant but valid US call sign--FCC call sign Groups A, B, C or D.

Although Advanced class licensees cannot seek the special 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2 (beginning with letter "A") Extra class type call signs, they can seek a 2x2 or 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or a 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)--FCC call sign Groups B, C or D.

General, Technician or Technician Plus class licensees can seek a 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)--FCC call sign Groups C or D.

Novice licensees also have access to the Vanity program. Novices can seek a 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W) of their choice--FCC call sign Group D.

Just as a reminder, Novice, Advanced and Technician Plus are no longer license classes used. Only those licensed amateurs who are grandfathered into those classes may renew and continue to hold those license classes.

Last edited by Groucho; 02-07-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

So it looks like I'd have to try for KRCH when the time comes. K0RCH is some guy in Minnesocold.

KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nothing in database for K0HLK
Nothing in database for K0ARM
Nothing in database for K0SOR or K0SLE
Nothing in database for K0RBI or K0PPG
Nothing in database for K0RDO
Nothing in database for K0NRB (K0SSN is taken)
Nothing in database for K0ROM (K0RMR is taken)
Nothing in database for K0ODR (K0ROD is taken), K0DOR is available....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Cool, thanks. I will have to check into this on Sunday some time, which is the next time I'll be at a computer w/o a firewall..

but hopefully I can find an N callsign that I can live with. No one steal n0kmn, ok?

www.gamiviti.com