Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default General License

I know some of you have gone on and gotten your General license. My observations are that we mostly used 2m and most people trucks have the 2m and sometimes 2m/70cm.

I believe my Tech level covers all the bands offered by my 7800 and Vx-7r radios.

Just looking over the difference in levels, I'm not seeing any benefit in getting a General. Other than of course to say I have it

I am sure I am missing something and looking for some enlightenment from some of the truly geeky members of our club. I mean geeky as a sincere compliment here.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I know some of you have gone on and gotten your General license. My observations are that we mostly used 2m and most people trucks have the 2m and sometimes 2m/70cm.

I believe my Tech level covers all the bands offered by my 7800 and Vx-7r radios.

Just looking over the difference in levels, I'm not seeing any benefit in getting a General. Other than of course to say I have it

I am sure I am missing something and looking for some enlightenment from some of the truly geeky members of our club. I mean geeky as a sincere compliment here.
My reasoning was for the same reason I have Ham at all. In case of emergency or need, I can operate on most any usable channel. I have been lightly studying and to tell you the truth I'm getting my doubts if I really want to know this stuff required for the General.....just not into it now. I have what I was after....so I might just chill and focus more on procedure and working the buttons.

Edited:
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 02-16-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I got it just because I always wanted to do the whole "short wave" setup as a kid and talk to people cross country and farther. Plus, I was kind of in the testing mode; I did one shortly after the other (a few months apart).

I haven't used any of my new privileges and I don't have the equipment, but someday I'll get around to it.

For what we are using it for on the trail, I don't think it's really necessary.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks guys. I "rag chewed" with Dave today and came up with the same answer.

Your right Kevin, lots of buttons and procedures and I wasn't really getting anywhere with that. Thats why I decided on the handheld so I could at least get profecient on what I am licensed for.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper