Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had a similar experience after my first job. Breathers fine, goop in the diff, but little or no diff brew in the knuckles. I flushed the mofo three times before I tore it back down to be sure it wasn't preexisting goop. I seated new seals about .5 -1 mm shy of what they are supposed to be. Playing with the seals might have helped a bit, but didn't cure the problem. Still had soupy diff.

My 94 had a weeping ps knuckle and clicking birf (records show the axles were serviced only 14K before by a non Toy shop) that was bothering me. When I tore it down there was no moly in it, just diff fluid. Seeing that I replaced both spindles and birfields with new Toy parts. I also changed how I packed the knuckle/birf. Instead of assembling the whole thing and then squirting the moly in I put it in the knuckle, birf and all before reassembly so I know exactly how much is in there. It's tricky to put everything back together (wipers and all) without making a mess, but it works for me. I only put enough moly in the knuckle to fill it to about 60% of capacity. I also offset the seals like before as well if the axle is grooved. I got the idea of putting less moly in the knuckle off of mud, but it was seeing that clean birf in my 94 that convinced me to try it. Result, no more goop in my diffs on the last three jobs. No diff fluid in the knuckles either.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to get ahold of someone at Marlin. No go.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 02-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well an update: I replaced the seals today with factory ones. There was not much left of the grease in the knuckles. I had done 3 drain & fills. Today I seated the seals about an 1/8" shy this time. I hope it works, and if it doesn't, someone else will do it while they are installing 4.88's!

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 02-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

I gave up. My truck's right side leaks. It leaked when it was jkimmel's axle too.
*shrugs*
I think the knuckle isn't centered on the right side because the housing is probably bent.

I run 265,000 mile old wheel bearings. Gear oil comes out when I take off the lock-out hub's cap! Sure it isn't right, but it doesn't seem to matter that much. It has been this way for 30,000 miles. It can't be THAT wrong. Even the big rigs have conversion kits to switch old greased trailer axle bearings to run in oil. The only problem is if it ever runs out of oil.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just keep the oil level up.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ewwwww.....

I know a fella who can make short work out of straightening that thing.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.