Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Cargo nets...

Not sure how "techy" this is but here goes...

I've been looking into a divider for behind the 2nd row seats to keep cargo in the rear and off our noggins when wheeling. Last year at CM07 I used one of those metal doggy divider deals that I used in my Durango. It worked fine, but I don't like the fact that it pushes up into the headliner (even with protection between the top of the divider and the headliner).

Started looking at cargo net options and came across a thread in MUD that ultimately led me to a company called Raingler and then on to Off Road Concepts.

They don't have any nets listed for the 80 series (do have nets listed for 4Runners) so I emailed them about possibly making a net for the 80 series. I have been trading emails with "Eddie" and he thinks the model they have for the LR Discovery would be a perfect fit.

So, for the tech part, what is the consensus, if any, of using something like this to keep the cargo in the back over say the doggy divider? In general I strap anything heavy to the floor of the 80 (tubs with tools, etc) so the net would really only need to keep sleeping bags and light stuff from sliding forward. In the event of a roll over, well hopefully the stuff strapped to the floor stays put. I don't have drawers FWIW.

Also, would any other 80 series owners (or 4Runner owners) be interested in a net? Eddie has offered to sell me a net and if it doesn't fit I can return it. He also offered a little bit of a discount/refund if I take pictures of the net installed that he can post up but I still have to front the cost for the net first. If others are interested and the sucker fits/works then I can check with Eddie on a group buy.

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Those are kinda cool! I hate rattles so metal barriers turn me off. I would definitely be interested in learning more about these!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

I was thinking of looking for some kind of "net" to put on my FJ40 roll cage in the back on the sides for miscellaneous stuff. Do they have anything like that?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

What does the net mount too? How big are the holes?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Those are kinda cool! I hate rattles so metal barriers turn me off. I would definitely be interested in learning more about these!
Ok...I'll keep you in the loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
I was thinking of looking for some kind of "net" to put on my FJ40 roll cage in the back on the sides for miscellaneous stuff. Do they have anything like that?
Yep...click on the Offroad Concepts link above and then on the "Shop" button. A LOT of Jeep netting but I assume if the dimensions are what you are looking for it should work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
What does the net mount too? How big are the holes?
Well, that is a good question and one I'm not sure I can fully answer until I actually buy one and try to install it. I know they use footman loops in some applications (like what you'd use to secure a bikini top's back straps on a FJ40). I was thinking top part would be secured to the grab handles and the bottom to the tie down points...Middle part not sure

Not sure on the hole size but I'll ask Eddie. I did ask if the web spacing is standard or if they can custom make the nets to have tighter spacing between the webbing.

EDIT: I rec'd this response back from Eddie tonight. I will say this, he has been very quick to respond back and so far great to work with
I will have to get back to you on the net dimensions. i checked it earlier and you will have about a 4-6" gap at the very top of the roof center depending on how you adjust the straps and if you change mount points etc. The net uses 8 cam buckles each with 2' of strap for attatching and tightening. We get many vehicles that do happen to use a net originally designed for something else. The ring point allow for flexibility on web direction as well. The net is set with about 4" openings This is done for the best balance of visibility and not too large to let most items pass through. Anything can be done on a custom basis if you wanted a one off to your specs too. We are in SE Colorado, near the NM border. Another option may be a just above the rear seat back net if that may be more cost effective and still get the job done. please let me know anything else I can answer, will get back to you on Monday with the dimensions as I won't be in the office tommorrow. Thanks, Eddie

I hadn't thought of NOT doing a full net but that might be a workable solution (and less expensive). I don't think I need a net that goes all the way to the floor.
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Last edited by corsair23; 02-29-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Also, would any other 80 series owners (or 4Runner owners) be interested in a net?
I would be interested. I have seen that site before but haven't been sure if I wanted a vertical net behind the seats or just one that secures my cargo to the floor.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 02-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
I would be interested. I have seen that site before but haven't been sure if I wanted a vertical net behind the seats or just one that secures my cargo to the floor.
Lance,

They sell both the vertical and the horizontal nets. They appear to be well made nets but not having one yet who knows. They definitely aren't "cheap" so hopefully the $$ reflects the quality in this case.
TLCA #17037

:

Old 03-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Trail Ready

Jeff, the next time you e-mail him could you see if he can send some install instructions for the vertical net or some pics of the attachment points? I'm curious as to how the anchor points are attached to the vehicle.
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Jeff,

I am in for sure, I need one for Rubithon. Depending on the price, some are pretty expensive and no better. I also need two for the sides so the doggies stay in the truck when stopped and incase of the worst scenario.

What are the prices he quoted you and will the one you are looking at work in the first gen 4Runner? I don't think it will. Is he up for a group buy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Jeff,

I am in for sure, I need one for Rubithon. Depending on the price, some are pretty expensive and no better. I also need two for the sides so the doggies stay in the truck when stopped and incase of the worst scenario.

What are the prices he quoted you and will the one you are looking at work in the first gen 4Runner? I don't think it will. Is he up for a group buy???
Tom,

I'll let you know what I find out. So far not much interest in him on a group buy. I think that may stem from the lack luster interest the last go around on MUD. If enough positive interest is shown then maybe he'll reconsider.

As of now price wise it is what you see on the website linked above. According to Eddie they can custom build nets to your specs if an off the shelf one wont fit your application but you'd have to get a quote for a price.

He offered me a modest discount/refund (25%) off the purchase price if what I buy fits and I take pictures that he can use on his site to advertise. I'm leaning toward a non full lenth net right now if I can figure out the mounting issue.
TLCA #17037

: