Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ60 what T-Stat? hot or cold?

I've got what I think is a sticky T-Stat... I understand there are basically two I can choose from: a "cold" one(~180degrees?) and a "hot" one (~190degrees?)

Currently, when running 'normal'...the temp is on the lower1/4 of the gauge.

What's the right one as we head into summer?

thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

i am running a 180 degree t stat in my v8 and have measured the coolant temp with it running normally. the guage is at 1/4 maybe a little lower so i'd guess yo unow have a 180 degree t stat in there.

i'd run a 180 degree t stat all year.. esp. in the summer... that what i ran in my 2f all year long in the south... and it did great.
82 FJ40
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Shawn,

Don't know which one but do you know what T-stat Toyota recommends? I know just enough to be dangerous on cooling systems but in my readings and experience it is important to get the proper T-stat for the optimum operating temp for the particular engine. Sort of the "sweet spot". I've read a lot of threads back and forth on MUD on the 80 series and people going to a lower temp T-stat to help with cooling issues and the general consensus it to NOT do that as then the engine has a tougher time getting up or even staying at optimal operating temp. I always though cooler was better but guess I was wrong
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Shawn,

Don't know which one but do you know what T-stat Toyota recommends? I know just enough to be dangerous on cooling systems but in my readings and experience it is important to get the proper T-stat for the optimum operating temp for the particular engine. Sort of the "sweet spot". I've read a lot of threads back and forth on MUD on the 80 series and people going to a lower temp T-stat to help with cooling issues and the general consensus it to NOT do that as then the engine has a tougher time getting up or even staying at optimal operating temp. I always though cooler was better but guess I was wrong
Yup...that's exactly what I learned from the posts..something about the sweet spot so the motor is running at optimum temp. But then I think...is a 10degree difference that significant? I do believe I've been running the cooler one on just that idea, "cooler must be better"...I think I'm wrong and looking for some additional insight on the whole "sweet spot" thing, especially as we head into summer with lots of high 90's/100+ days.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFJ60 View Post
But then I think...is a 10degree difference that significant?
It made a difference on my Durango when I ran a lower temp T-stat (180F) compared to OEM stock (190F). Doing so was required to run a JET chip (that I never got around to installing) as part of "tricking" the ECU. The Durango didn't run quite as well with it installed as it did before...Not a huge difference but even I noticed a difference
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Given some of the vapor locking and hot soak conditions that can plague carb'd 'cruisers, I'd use a 180. The last thing you need at higher elevations with a carb'd vehicle is more underhood heat. I believe the stock t-stat is 182 (or whatever the centigrade equiv. is).

A higher temp t-stat might be useful for helping it to pass emissions, but for summer use, 180 is plenty. A 10 degree swing isn't that big a deal - there's a bigger difference in using, say, a 160 degree t-stat and a 200 degree t-stat.

Steve
Old 03-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Where are you getting the T-stat?
If you are getting it from Dan or from Kurt, they should be able to give you the right one. I would use a 180 if it was me, I believe that the right one for our climate is a 180(w/2f), but would look in the FSM for sure. If you were in Canada or Alaska, I think I would like a 190 for the winter.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

yeah, i ran a 180 (in my 2f) that i got from napa, it worked fine. drove it like that for thousands of miles in 100+ degree weather down in Memphis... no vapor lock or any other kind of heat soak (and my carb fan never worked) I think it actually had a "84" stamped on it which actually translates to ~183 degrees F. I have run cooler than that (a 74 degree C thermostat) in both the cruiser and many other cars and it was not good... oil never really got hot enough and neither did the motor. like Steve says... hotter t stats have been used in later model cars to help with emissions, and like Jeff said they are tuned to run at that higher temp.. but the older motors (generally speaking) run fine at 180 and you aren't really over stressing the colling system/head gasket. If yo uwant more heat, go higher though.

but... i did run the old 2f motor on a run back from st. louis to memphis with the temp guage pegged (actual reading was like 230-240) and it never really seemed to care. (yep, i had a death wish..) it just smoked more.

just go get a 180 from napa and call it a day. need a new radiator? i have an extra brand new one. cheap. just needs some minor TLC due to some shipping damage.
82 FJ40
Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default perfect!

I've been running the cooler one, and everthing is running quite well. Thanks for the insight everyone, and the one is what I'll be getting.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Stock for a 2F is 180F, for an F is 170F. I would not deviate from that. And, I would buy it (as I have in the past) from our esteemed host, Stevinson.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/