Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Cool, thanks. I will have to check into this on Sunday some time, which is the next time I'll be at a computer w/o a firewall..

but hopefully I can find an N callsign that I can live with. No one steal n0kmn, ok?
Sorry nak.....

<<This is public license data from the FCC database.
Find out how to change this information.

To view or change your ARRL member information go to the Member Data Page

SXXXXXXD, LORI D, N0KMN (Tech Plus)
XXXXX xxST
XXXXXXX, ND XXXXX
Issue Date: Jan 11, 1999
Expire Date: Jan 11, 2009
Date of last Change: Jan 11, 1999 >>
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default The number is necessary.

Quote:
So it looks like I'd have to try for KRCH when the time comes. K0RCH is some guy in Minnesocold.

Bill,

You need the number designator.

These aren't taken:
KB0RCH
KD0RCH

Information regarding Call Signs--
Every licensed Radio Amateur is given a call sign that is used to identify you and your location of license. Each country that has Amateur Radio status is allocated a range of call signs by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU).

Prefix and Suffix--
Call signs consist of a prefix and a suffix. The prefix is usually composed of one or two letters and a number such as VE4 in Canada for the province of Manitoba or K9 in the U.S. for the states Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin. Some countries have prefixes that are composed of a number and a letter such as 4X for Israel or 9K for Kuwait. If this sounds confusing, for the first timer it is. After doing it a while, they rattle off like Dr. Seuss.

While the prefix uniquely identifies a country the suffix is unique for the individual. In Canada a call sign such as VE3ABC has VE3 (Ontario) as the prefix and ABC as the suffix. In the U.S the call sign N2MG has a prefix of N2 and suffix of MG. U.S. hams may also have a two letter prefix thus AB2Z is a valid call. Suffixes may also be less than three letters so you have call signs such as VE7AB in British Columbia and KH6Y in Hawaii.

Call Areas--
In North America the number in the call sign generally refers to an area of the country. The 3 in VE3 refers to Ontario and the 6 in K6 refers to California. The number may be shared between states in the U.S. so that 1 as in K1 or W1 can refer to the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. Usually in Canada the number refers to a single province although VE1 can refer to the Maritime provinces New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.
Other countries follow a similar practice so you can have states in Brazil and Prefectures in Japan.

U.S. Prefixes--
Prefixes used by Amateurs in the United States are shown in the following table. U.S. Radio Amateurs may have either a single letter or two letters in the prefix. See the two letter allocations at the bottom of the table. The single letter prefixes K, and N are also in use by U.S. Amateurs. To further complicate matters Amateurs that have moved to a different area of the country may retain their existing call sign so when you hear W8ABC you may be receiving a signal from other than the W8 states.

Call Sign Prefix--State
W0-- Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
W1-- Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
W2-- New Jersey, New York
W3-- Delaware, D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania
W4-- Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia
W5-- Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
W6-- California
W7-- Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Wyoming
W8-- Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia
W9-- Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin
AL0-7, KL0-7, NL0-7, WL0-7-- Alaska
AH6-7, KH6-7, NH6-7, WH6-7-- Hawaii

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional U.S. prefixes

A, AA - AK K, KA - KK
KM - KW
KX - KZ
N, NA - NK
NM - NW
NX - NZ
WA - WK
WM - WO
WQ - WW
WX - WZ
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok I'm going to grab a and head out to the garage, in case anyone else is around.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Good ragchew tonight. Great talking to Heather! Also, Chris, Brian, Nathaniel and Ricardo.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Should be a few more folks tonight.

You going to chime in Ige?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

I am in DC this week, otherwise I would join you guys.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Did anyone else jump over to simplex last night and monitor Nathaniel & I? I sure didn't hear anyone.. other than W0IIN who was coming in nice and clear. Want to try this again for sure, it really worked well from up on the hill though I bet I could hit most of you guys now.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Did anyone else jump over to simplex last night and monitor Nathaniel & I? I sure didn't hear anyone.. other than W0IIN who was coming in nice and clear. Want to try this again for sure, it really worked well from up on the hill though I bet I could hit most of you guys now.
I clicked on the HT around 21:30 ish. Listened for a while while I mildly tinkered in the garage and the air was quiet on the 145. Went in about 22:30. My mobile is down for a short time as I'm redoing the rear area.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I did, but not so much as a peep from W0IIN. I heard you pretty good, S6-S7. I had the HT with the SRH77CA on it, which is a pretty decent antenna. I didn't want to interfere with W0IIN since I could not hear anything, didn't even break the squelch with noise, and so I didn't try TX'ing to see if you could hear me.

I should say that 145.145 was pretty clustered last night. Frank and someone else were having a QSO when Rising Sun hams started showing up. We do not have a set net time on 145.145 since we are not paying members of the CRA and so we do not have any rights to the repeater and have to be careful about listening for a while before starting to talk. I had a bit of a feeling that we ran off the guys already using the repeater. Need to make sure to practice good operating techniques! Listen for a while, wait for a break and ask if you can use the repeater. If they are nice and say sure, all is good. Otherwise ask if you can make an announcement to move your group to a different frequency. Last night both 146.805 and 147.225 were quiet at 2100 and we could have moved our ragchew there as a courtesy.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Frank and that other guy were bouncing around just about everywhere all night. I heard them at about 7:45 when I started monitoring 145.. all was quiet until about 8:30 so I announced my call sign then then Convert piped up and he & I talked for about 20 minutes uninterrupted. So if they jumped back in just before 9 they were probably making their rounds again, but I don't feel like we were interrupting their QSO.

Agreed, though, that best practice is to listen first. But if I'm going to learn any etiquette it's going to be from folks like you, Nathaniel, and Ricardo, not these guys..

edit: And Dave, as you know we typically leave long breaks so next time by all means jump in. Nathaniel maybe you should have turned up the power a bit, and maybe I should have turned down? I'll have to go see what I'm at, was probably all the way up on 50 watts though since I needed that to reach Matt before the last RS meeting.

www.gamiviti.com