Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Wincher

Default 80 series front bumper and CM

I'm counting the days until CM 08 and I'm wondering whether or not I need a better than stock front bumper on my 80 series? I signed up for Fins, Hells Revenge, and Gold Bar Rim. I'd rather not spend money on something I don't need yet, however if there is a high likelihood that I'm going to tear the stock one off, I'll probably go ahead and order up a short bus bumper. I think my tow bar will take most of the abuse that would otherwise be dealt to the rear bumper...

Oh yeah, I'm running an OME 2.5 medium lift, will have some 285 nittos on it in a couple days, and no spacers. What do you guys think?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

You won't tear it off. Worse thing is you might scuff it a bit and then have an excuse to get a bumper
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Wincher

Thanks for the reply Romer. I don't mind scuffing it up as I plan on putting a short bus bumper or an ARB at a future date, I just didn't want to destroy it or damage my truck in another way as a result of having a the plastic stock bumper.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have my old front bumper in the shed if you hurt it to bad. It's gold though
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 02-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

stock bumper is actually a better approach angle for most wheeling..
Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

even with the tow bar I'd be more worried about the rear bumper. Much more over hang back there. I'm just going to remove my rear before CM.

And if you don't have sliders, that's where you should spend money before you get to Moab.

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
even with the tow bar I'd be more worried about the rear bumper. Much more over hang back there. I'm just going to remove my rear before CM.

And if you don't have sliders, that's where you should spend money before you get to Moab.

x2...You may want to look at the other thread that was posted up with similar questions (CM in a stock 80). With the exception that you will have a tad more body clearance due to the lift and a slight more diff clearance due to your bigger tires, most of the discussion will apply to you - There is even a link to a video of a stock 100 series on Fins showing how the hitch protected the rear bumper.

My suggestions FWIW if you can't do every mod you want to before you go would be:

(1) Sliders, sliders, sliders!! (cheap insurance to what a banged up rocker panel fix will cost you)
(2) Remove the rear bumper entirely, or at the very least the bumper wings, if you are worried about damage. I scraped the snot out of my Slee rear bumper on Fins but if I still had the hitch on that would have taken the abuse
(3) Leave on the front bumper - as John mentioned the stock bumper actually has a better approach angle than say an ARB and will offer some protection for the AC dryer. I actually reinstalled my OEM tow points on the front with the ARB to act as rock finders

Plan on you tailpipe getting squished. I hit it as much as, if not more, than the rear bumper - some day I'll trim mine but for now I just keep opening the hole back up. Sears even sells a tool if you are so inclined that is used to do just this.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Wincher

Sliders are on the way a la 2BadFJs

I will check out the other thread referenced for more info. I have run part of Fins N Things last fall with the current lift and 265's and the truck did fine. I'm pretty sure that the part of Fins N Things that I ran was the easier side though. It sure was a blast. Sounds like I'll be removing the rear bumper caps and should plan on a nicely smashed tailpipe

Thanks for the replies everybody.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:03 PM

Your plan to remove the end caps is a good one. Sliders are the #1 mod to save an 80 body. Have fun!