Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

I'll be in San Diego in early April for a week, then driving back with my new sub-tank. Was going to borrow a family car to drive back, but I could explore borrowing a family F250 to haul it back (how big is it? would I need to rustle up a trailer, too?).

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 03-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think the sections are 22' long, so I think a trailer is required.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

As exciting as this all seems I wouldn't start making any plans just yet

I really doubt that Tim and Michelle want a big tower up on their property and the last thing they need right now with the move is us trying to take over their property

Seeing as this things isn't "mobile" I don't believe it fits what was being loosely discussed in the first place. It was really just one of those "saw it on eBay" things to post up as a joke.

Although I must admit, Tim & Michelle have a pretty dang good view of Denver from their new place
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Wincher

Default A club repeater

At the last monthly meeting there was mention of un spent funds from State recreation fees that will be taken if not used by non profit organizations for a worthy cause.

What about applying for a grant to purchase a new or used trailer, mast, generator, solar panel setup that could be used for a repeater? It may require member contributions and Rising Sun contributions. It may require the repeater setup occasionally be available for activities consistent with the grant.

A manufactured, field tested, mast-trailer setup made for an antenna should be more user friendly-reliable-safe then something put together from whatever. http://www.floatograph.com/fmseries/intro.htm have examples of mast trailers and mast vehicles. The military applications are interesting. About 3/4 down is info about used trailers for around $5,000.

John
KDODCU
Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInDenver View Post
At the last monthly meeting there was mention of un spent funds from State recreation fees that will be taken if not used by non profit organizations for a worthy cause.

What about applying for a grant to purchase a new or used trailer, mast, generator, solar panel setup that could be used for a repeater? It may require member contributions and Rising Sun contributions. It may require the repeater setup occasionally be available for activities consistent with the grant.

A manufactured, field tested, mast-trailer setup made for an antenna should be more user friendly-reliable-safe then something put together from whatever. http://www.floatograph.com/fmseries/intro.htm have examples of mast trailers and mast vehicles. The military applications are interesting. About 3/4 down is info about used trailers for around $5,000.

John
KDODCU
Maybe if it was the club's trailer, and I was just letting the club park it up behind the house, then the idea could possibly fly. A big ass tower isn't ever going to be approved, though. But I tell ya after hearing how clear simplex was last Monday I immediately started thinking about what kind of base station I could set up down in my little shop.. only problem is there's no power and no heat, but I should have power by the end of the summer.

But those trailers are a lot like what we've been scheming, very cool. Spring that bad boy over and it's ready to go:
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Wincher

Default Paint a little Tree-Bark...

...and camo it with Krylon, and you would be good to go!

Of coure it would need new color scheme to disappear during Cruise Moab?!

Who within RS is good at grant writing? There ought to be someone able to help secure the funds? Perhaps COHVCO could help?

Cheers!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Rising Sun Commander

now THAT's an idea.. and there's a thread in Land Use about applying for grant money. Benefit is improved safety and communication for all club sponsored volunteer efforts? I'm sure someone could spin that into a nice pitch..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have >2 acres in Broomfield with no covenants; it could be parked at my place (as long as I could use it while it was here).
Old 03-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Uh oh.. http://denver.craigslist.org/sys/601430800.html

www.gamiviti.com