Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Unhappy Not sure I have the money to go to Rubithon

Did an honest assessment yesterday of whether I could really afford this trip. I'm really not sure.

If I'm going to go, I want 35" tires and enough lift to deal with them. When I talked with Tony Twiddy, he said the one 80-series with 33" tires that ran the Rubithon last year really struggled.

I'm going to need tires fairly soon anyway, although if I buy another set of 285s I will only need 4, since my used spare is still in good shape. But I can potentially take these out of the equation, since I'm going to need tires whether I go to Rubithon or not.

I'm just not sure if I can afford the 4" lift I'll need to clear the 35" tires. And then there's another $750-1000 in fuel costs for the trip. Plus food and an occasional motel room. I figure to do this thing right, I'm going to need $1800 for food/gas/lodging + $2200 for a 4" lift + $1200 for tires. That's $5200 that I don't have.

I could probably get my FJ40 ready for action with less money. If I cut the rear wheel wells, I could stuff 35" tires in there now (I have a 4" lift on it now). I have some 4.11 diffs in my garage, ready to be swapped in. Beyond that, I probably need to do some fluid replacement. But then I'm faced with 2500 miles in an FJ40 -- I'm not sure whether that really sounds like fun. I'd still have to buy some tires, although for the 40 I could buy some used ones, since it's not my DD.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up. I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm pretty gloomy today.

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Man, if I'm gonna try this with 2" of lift, 33x9.50 ATs and IFS, an 80 series should be a walk in the park in comparison. Get what you can done and if it's too brutal, I won't be the only one who parks at the trailhead and thumbs a ride into camp for $200 t-shirts. BTW, the main reason I'm even trying is that people get 122" wheelbase Tacomas through there (Scott Brady just recently) on ~33" tires and the only way in heck I have a chance is with guys like UB spotting.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Rising Sun member

Matt, seems to me that an FJ40 on 33s would do the Rubicon fine (IIRC it's the minimum requirements), but I've never been there and you're still stuck with the road trip in a SWB 25+ year old vehicle. But boy that would be a lot of fun - I would ride with you there and back
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Don't you have a rider splitting the food gas and loging? Just want to make sure the math is right.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 03-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Don't you have a rider splitting the food gas and loging? Just want to make sure the math is right.
And doesn't your rider also own a built up 80? maybe he should drive

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Matt, seems to me that an FJ40 on 33s would do the Rubicon fine (IIRC it's the minimum requirements), but I've never been there and you're still stuck with the road trip in a SWB 25+ year old vehicle. But boy that would be a lot of fun - I would ride with you there and back
Aren't you driving your 40?

You're probably right. I could probably just take my 40 as is and be fine.

I'm just not sure the trip would be much fun. Driving out to Moab in the 40 wears me out. It's hot, very noisy, and jostles the crap out of me to the point of nausea.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Aren't you driving your 40?
No, I'm riding the whole way. I ain't ready to take my 40 the way it is on the Rubicon, and that's okay, I'm biding my time so I can do it right when I am ready

I know it's a long way, but you put the ear plugs in, set your foot in the cruise position , switch drivers every few hours and get out and stretch as much as you can (probably every 2-3 hours due to having to top off the tank), I bet it's doable.

You're right though - late June cruising through Nevada and Utah in a non-air conditioned vehicle - I've thought of things that were more fun - but think about the Rubicon in an FJ40...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
No, I'm riding the whole way. I ain't ready to take my 40 the way it is on the Rubicon, and that's okay, I'm biding my time so I can do it right when I am ready

I know it's a long way, but you put the ear plugs in, set your foot in the cruise position , switch drivers every few hours and get out and stretch as much as you can (probably every 2-3 hours due to having to top off the tank), I bet it's doable.
Man....if I didn't know better I would think you had a straight axle mini/runner!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
EXACTLY - Although that won't help with the "other" stuff ...How much of an absolute requirement is the 4" lift and 35s ...35s buy you what, an 1" more clearance? What are you guys running suspension wise with your 35s? I didn't think anyone in the club had Slee's 4" lift installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
And doesn't your rider also own a built up 80? maybe he should drive
- You funny...No way I'm ready for the Rubicon that's why I'm hoping to hitch a ride . And Matt and I are pretty much set up identically right now rig wise only he'll have a much prettier engine here soon .
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

I am running J's and L shocks
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i