Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Notices

Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Thanks for all the thoughts, guys. I will look into doing the lift on the cheap. As I mentioned, I already have some 1.5" spacers for the front. Anyone know what I can use to space the back? Or should I just buy some J springs and hope that they get me level?

I'm still not certain if that means I can afford to go.
My truck is pretty heavy in the front but I have Js with 1.5" spacers and they are level with my 863 "heavy" rears. I'll bet your truck is lighter than my truck in the back (note careful wording to avoid heavy rear-end jokes and quotes ) and so you should have similar clearance. I have not flexed it much but don't think I'd have issues.
I'm switching to extra heavy 864s (trailer towing issue) so the heavies would available at a bigtime-super-duper-extrie-low club member price
Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Drive your 40 Matt. I'm planning on driving my '73 with LTB's and manual steering. I've never owned a vehicle with air conditioning. Driving across country in a 40 will be FUN with the right attitude. Heck, I don't even have a radio besides the CB! Just the sweet music of the 2F, hum of the swampers and flap flap flap of the soft top. And I can't wait to get to the Rubicon and ditch my doors and top and wheel in my open 40.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey Mike there's a guy on mud selling a set of 864's, did you see that? Was on the first page last night, shouldn't be too buried at this point.

Matt you can get spacers for the rear, maybe Christo has some?.. MAF sells the trim packers but like their name states, they ain't free.

But I think that's the wrong direction personally: you want to set your truck up good, and do it right, once. Don't hack together a makeshift lift that will just annoy you, or worse create an issue we get to resolve 1000 miles away from our jack stands.. Remember you need to cut your sliders down to prevent 35's from rubbing too... and if you switch shocks you definitely have to do bump stops. Why not just snatch up a set of used 33's from someone and just go for it as-is? Like Jeff said, you're a good driver and can totally do the trail with 33's, we're talking a 20mm difference in clearance here, I bet you could find a used set of tires for ~$300 and you're done, take the 80.

or just drive the 40, you can hop in with me while Subzali drives if you need a break from the wind.

Then do the real 4" lift, gears, slider mods, and 35's this coming winter..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Drive your 40 Matt.
I agree, just go, man! Do whatever you think you need, but just run whatever junk you get ready. I was stressing over it and still am, but whatever will be will be. Staying home isn't an option for me mentally at this point.
Quote:
I've never owned a vehicle with air conditioning.
It was a trip not unlike this one that got me off the dime. Our Grand Canyon trip a few Octobers back found 100F in St. George still. That was miserable. I installed A/C in the truck a couple of summers ago, very nice.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 03-25-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

not to hijack....but damn, if Subzali's 40 is not 'ready' for Rubithon, what chance does MY 40 have?!? And my 80 is nowhere near ready...and I need vacation time for when the baby comes in August............
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

I'm just not sure the trip would be much fun. Driving out to Moab in the 40 wears me out. It's hot, very noisy, and jostles the crap out of me to the point of nausea.
On second thought, after reading this post: I think you should just sell your 40 and use the funds to fix your 80 and go on the trip.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
not to hijack....but damn, if Subzali's 40 is not 'ready' for Rubithon, what chance does MY 40 have?!? And my 80 is nowhere near ready...and I need vacation time for when the baby comes in August............
I think Subzali worries too much. I figure if I keep telling myself my truck isn't ready or whatever I'll never do anything. It's been a slow speed train wreck for 8 years now and you see how far it's come... I'm coming to terms with the fact that it will never get an SAS, bobb'ed tail, 35" tires and all that. So I'm just doing it and keeping my fingers crossed. Once I get the sliders on and finish hacking up my Budbuilt IFS skid I will be able to start getting a feel for how bad this is gonna hurt. By mid April I hope to be testing it on stuff to see... I think we get too dazzled by gadgets and convinced we need this bit or that that we paralyze ourselves from taking any risk. They're just trucks and can be fixed! How cool will it be getting my junk through the Rubicon?

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Or you could call your friend Bill with the plasma cutter and remove all those offending IFS bits...
BTW, your sliders *should* be ready to install this weekend.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
I'm just being anal retentive about my truck - last year it swallowed a hose clamp that took me two months of wrenching in the cold dark to get back on the road. This winter I broke my rear pinion in Moab that again took about two months of wrenching to get back on the road. I'm tired of working on my truck, so I'm keeping it on trails that I have a good chance of NOT breaking something on. I'm not doing Spring Creek this year, even though I've done it twice with no problems. The hardest the trails are going to get this year at Moab are the Overnight run, Elephant Hill, and maybe Onion Creek.

I'm sure my 40 could do the Rubicon sitting on 31s with a rear locker and manual steering - but you know what? I just don't want to deal with it, it's kinda like I'm tempting fate - I would rather go back there when (if) I'm sprung over, sitting on 35s, power steering, with heavier duty springs to carry the extra weight of my camping gear, fuel, and other storage and spare parts. The minimum requirements are 33s, I don't want to do a 4" spring under lift to accomplish this, and frankly I don't have the money or time to dedicate to this to make my truck ready. For me personally - sure maybe I could do it, but I don't think this is the right trip (for me) to be getting by by the skin of my teeth. I'm just choosing to fight a different battle.

I wouldn't mind driving my 40 out there, but why? So I can park it somewhere and have it stolen by the end of the weekend? So I can shake rattle and roll myself to death without the benefit of taking it on the trail (just because I have decided that's not what I want to do)? No, I would rather split the driving time (I just did the drive a year ago, I know how long it is) and the fuel costs with somebody else who is planning on running their rig on the trail. Like Matt's 40. Or someone's 80. Or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33
On second thought, after reading this post: I think you should just sell your 40 and use the funds to fix your 80 and go on the trip.
The only problem with this is that pretty much every Cruiserhead who has sold their 40 has regretted it for years, and usually ends up getting a new one later. But usually that new one isn't as good as the one they originally had. You have history with a truck and it's hard to get rid of.

Sorry for the hijack, Matt it would seem to me that if your 80 has sliders in addition to its front and rear bumpers then sitting on 33s will get you through the trail (remember we have EXCELLENT spotters in our group), and if you're still worried about it then I am 100% with you if you decide to drive your 40
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

I know all you guys want to take your own cruisers. But I'd sure love to cut costs. Should I start a "Riders Wanted" thread?