Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Or you could call your friend Bill with the plasma cutter and remove all those offending IFS bits...
If there was a way to keep 33" tires and lift to stock height + 2" with an SAS, I would have thought about it. I can't see any way to do that without going to push-pull steering and flat stock springs. Maybe Steve Schaefer's way with a spring-under configuration could work, but that's a very custom one-off.

What can I say, hard core rock crawling just isn't in my DNA. I don't expect this to be a super clean run for my truck, it will be a lot of scraping, grinding and careful spotting (like Subzali say, lots of good spotters in the club). So what? As long as I have fun and keep the straps to a minimum, I'll be stoked.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 03-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

My motto:
It's only money .... just make more

OK sell the 40 and forget all the complex lift configurations, here is the solution for ride height and to have for the COOLEST 80 in Colo
Volvo Portal axles

they are in Boulder
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
If there was a way to keep 33" tires and lift to stock height + 2" with an SAS, I would have thought about it. I can't see any way to do that without going to push-pull steering and flat stock springs. Maybe Steve Schaefer's way with a spring-under configuration could work, but that's a very custom one-off.

What can I say, hard core rock crawling just isn't in my DNA. I don't expect this to be a super clean run for my truck, it will be a lot of scraping, grinding and careful spotting (like Subzali say, lots of good spotters in the club). So what? As long as I have fun and keep the straps to a minimum, I'll be stoked.
Stock +2 with a SAS will have its own limitations with an XtraCab, and would not net you much capability. But there is ALWAYS a way to gitterdun.

Yarrr.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
The only problem with this is that pretty much every Cruiserhead who has sold their 40 has regretted it for years, and usually ends up getting a new one later. But usually that new one isn't as good as the one they originally had. You have history with a truck and it's hard to get rid of.
I would have loved to have kept my 40. I would have regretted it had I used the $$ to fund something like a kitchen overhaul. However, I used every penny in the upgrade of my 80 to build it the way I wanted it. I have no regrets. I may get another 40 one day for fun, but that won't be based on regrets.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Oh, and the tailgate now is the perfect height for cooking and post ride beer bottle support...
Now you're talking, keep it the way it is.............don't want to mess up the "Post ride beer bottle support"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I would have loved to have kept my 40. I would have regretted it had I used the $$ to fund something like a kitchen overhaul. However, I used every penny in the upgrade of my 80 to build it the way I wanted it. I have no regrets. I may get another 40 one day for fun, but that won't be based on regrets.
I also miss that 40 dearly, but don't regret selling it even though it was to buy a Subaru which helped get me up the hill to overhaul the kitchen. And I can't wait for my next 40, it's going to have a lot of what I liked about the last one, plus a couple things it didn't have. that said, don't sell your 40 Matt... it's just one trip to the Rubicon which will be over long before your son has the chance to drive the 40.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
which helped get me up the hill to overhaul the kitchen.
No dig intentended my friend, my comment was that two moderate built cruisers became one well built cruiser. So in spirit, the 40 is still there everytime I floor the 80 on the on ramp and the supercharger goes to max boost
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Take a look at this add http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/2...el-shocks.html My be sold already but ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

OK, I'm feeling a little better about money today. I'm going to proceed with my plan to lift my 80 and put 35s on it. We'll see where I end up.

As far as my 40 goes... I still love FJ40s, and I have a long history with this one. I've been tempted to go down the "Romer Plan" many times over the last several years, sell it and do a bunch of upgrades to the 80 at once. But this is my second 40. There was a 2-year gap between my old 1975 FJ40 and this one -- and all I wanted to do was buy another 40 the whole time. I've owned this one for 9 years. I don't want to sell it, but I also don't really want to drive it 2500 miles. If it was 300 miles each way, I'd probably take my 40. Every summer, when I remove the soft top and run nothing but the bikini top for 3 months, I fall in love with my 40 all over again.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Matt, you have a beautiful 40. Keeping it is the right thing.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i