Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Fire extinguishing systems

Does anyone have a les expensive Halon equivalent to this? I would use a standard dry chemical model, but after dealing with a vehicle fire in late '07 I would prefer to have less mess if I have another issue. Anyone using Halon in RS?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Jeff, I looked also for the Trail team at one time to have good extinguishers on board for the tour, and could not find a much better deal. I think the best I came up with was close to 85 then shipping on top of this. I currently have the a/b auto ones that will not hurt the paint and such in my truck(I think Kidde models)I can look and post up the model for you. It is messy I am sure, but no hurting the wiring and paint.
Halon is gone, it did not meet some current safety requirements that Is why you many not find the older Halon systems.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Check out Halotron. It is a Halon-replacement charge. They're a/b/c, evaporates (no cleanup), non-conducting, and non-etching.

I've got one in each of my cars... haven't ever had to use them, so no hands-on experience.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 04-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
Halon is gone, it did not meet some current safety requirements that Is why you many not find the older Halon systems.
Halon was one of the big ozone depleters... it was phased out a decade or more ago and is essentially no longer available.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 04-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

Spruce Aircraft supply. That is where my Dad and I get this kind of stuff for his racecar and my truck. We haven't needed to hit the button yet.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/h3rhalon.php
Mixture of 1301 and 1211. 12 year shelf life. $99 for the little one. (hey it's $2 less?!)

Spruce sells lots of cool hardware like Dzus fasteners and weird aeroquip fittings too.
In addition, you get some options in the canister size, mounting options, stickers, complete 1 button systems, etc.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

I use Halon. My extinguishers get serviced yearly.

Haven't had to do it here yet, but in Memphis the extinguisher place would service and fill halon extinguishers.. it just had to be with "recycled" halon because it can't be manufactured anymore. Last time they did mine they sucked out the Halon, checked the bottle, and refilled it. It is a bit more expensive since it is recycled, but end result is the same.

I don't like using pegasus, but heres a link FYI: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...D=FIRESYSHALON

I am sure there are better options now (as mentioned above) but i am stubborn to change. perhaps i should think more about the grass i am walking on.
82 FJ40
Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

and to add to Steve's post.. this is the exact one I carry on my truck:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/c352ts.php
and to my surprise, a similar one is a bit cheaper at pegasus.. http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro....asp?RecId=439

and i just realized that neither of these are any cheaper than what you found... oops.
82 FJ40

Last edited by rover67; 04-04-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: didn't read.