Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Rock Stacker

It was great meeting you last night! I can relate to the not knowing a thing and wanting to learn. It looks like we have found the best place to start!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Now if you come to the wheel packing party, that counts as a club event, which means you can voted in as a member. You don't have to be a member to enjoy our trail runs, meetings or camaraderie though. We have never been and never will be a members only club.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Those are some really great pics of the FJ40 "rescue". Hopefully it will be on the road soon!
'00 UZJ100
Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenimirra View Post
Sounds good to me. I'm linear thinking AND anal too, so I need to make a list of what needs to be done and then start checking things off! I just need some guidance. As much as I am excited to get this going, I'm also very anxious and worried about making mistakes and screwing things up. And I also don't want her to sit in my garage unused either! I want to get out there, but it worries me that I don't know enough to fix things when they break down. I feel overwhelmed with everything that I have to learn....

I was thinking about coming to the wheel bearing party so I can start helping out.
It was great to meet you last night too! That's a VERY sweet, stock and unmolested 1963!

You are MORE than welcome to join us on Saturday, we'd be pleased to have you. As one anal "make a list and check things off" person to another, I'm sure you'll be happy with what you can learn and accomplish in our group.

Happy cruisin' and welcome to Rising Sun and cruiserdom!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
We have never been and never will be an 80 Series members only club.
That might fit a little better
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Rising Sun member

What part of town do you live in? (N,S,E,W?) That might help people figure out what kind of time commitment they would be up against to some check out your truck! Shoot, even if you're up in Fort Collins I might just drive up to check it out, wouldn't be the first time!

These things are purely mechanical (especially one of your model year), which for people like me makes it easier to understand. You are starting with a running vehicle, which is a huge benefit because you have that baseline to go off of. I started at the age of 15 with a running but not driveable '66 Chevy pickup. I started with the simple things - tune up, change the oil etc., then changed the oil on the differentials, transmission, transfer case, greased driveshafts, etc. Then I kinda did things backwards (i.e. too complex too soon) and attacked the Quadrajet carb to try and rebuild it. I got it done, but I never ended up getting the thing dialed in right. With the 327 I had it to the point where I could spin the tires in 3rd gear on a dirt road, but it never really idled right. So I'm still kinda scared of carbs, but don't worry the carb on your Cruiser is a lot more simple than a Quadrajet. Next I did the brakes, which really aren't that hard on Cruisers either. Then I got my 40, which was also running, and have just worked my way into things. Now I'm 22 and the most recent things I did were pulling the head about a year ago to fish out a broken hose clamp from my valves, and doing major repair work on my front and rear axle, including setting up a differential, when I broke my rear pinion in Moab last Thanksgiving.

So just take it slow, start with the easy things, make a list of what it needs and prioritize, and you'll have it in tip-top shape in a timely fashion! And BTW, :
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
We have never been and never will be a LANDCRUISER members only club.
Fixed it for ya.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

thenimirra,

That is one incredible FJ40! I am totally jealous. I would do a frame off on that in a minute; well, err, at least get started in a minute

Want to trade for a running, licensed, and smogged 73 FJ40 with a small block Chevy?

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Lifted

Well, I live out by DIA off of I-70 and Chambers. I wanted to designate Sundays as my build days since I tend to do photography gigs on Saturday. I thought I might just pick a date and then invite friends from Colorado 4X4 and the MUD forum too. I provide food and beer? What do you think?

I have April 13?

I will also be coming to the event tomorrow so I can start learning!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlew View Post
It was great meeting you last night! I can relate to the not knowing a thing and wanting to learn. It looks like we have found the best place to start!
Hey there! I am so glad to meet another noob and to know I'm not alone in starting out!