Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Increase vacuum? That would be a workaround that isn't required if the systems are all up to snuff. Try to imagine the diaphragm being stretched out of shape, distorted, so that when normal vacuum is applied it doesn't move the shift links as far as it should. I suggest focusing on that before thinking about pulling the t-case apart. Start with the obvious simple stuff. Does your Haynes show pictures of the diaphragm cylinder assembly?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Rock Stacker

ok I have located a buddy who has a Vaccum pump and I am going to order an FSM today to start there. Hopefully that will lead me to some answers quickly... the easy kind!!

Another question, I briefly read some thread in my searches about converting it to a manually shifted 4wd system rather than whats is there now. Have you done that on any cruisers and how hard is it to do the change and locate all needed parts?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Rock Stacker

Played around some with it and am alot more familiar with what i am looking at now from my research. The revving to get the vaccum up didnt seem to help get it engaged. I ordered a FSM from Toyota this week so I will dive into it a bit once i get that. I did run into something interesting. When I drove it to the shop(2 seconds from my house) the 4wd would not disengage and hubs were not locked but there was a grinding sound almost as if the gears/axle in front were turning but driveshaft wasnt. Kind of an uncomfortable noise. I left it at the mechanic for a little investigation and to get the brakes bled and oil changed and jogged home.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

I suspect (but don't know) that the system used manifold vacuum, rather than ported vacuum. Revving the engine (in this case) will lower the vacuum that the xfer case shifter sees.

In addition to a vacuum pump, you need a simple vacuum gauge so that you can see what the transfer case shifter is 'seeing' as far as vacuum. The FSM should clear up the entire vacuum picture for you. Just be aware of the two kinds of vacuum that exist on vehicles - manifold is high at idle (15"+) and ported vacuum is high at high RPMs.