Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Cruise Moab Ham Shack Monitors

Hey all you Ham operators out there. We need volunteers to monitor the CM Ham shack during the event. Please post up here or PM me if you can help.

Thanks.

Common Channels HAM Radio
Cruise Moab Base 146.460 (simplex)
Repeater #1 146.760, 88.5 Hz tone
Repeater #2 146.900, 88.5 Hz tone

HAM radio operators please note: Utah band-plans use a 20Kz step between frequencies. All trail frequencies are within the Utah Band-Plan simplex operating range. All frequencies will be operated according to the “gentleman’s agreement” with regards to sharing frequencies. All operators must use the least amount of power necessary to conduct transmissions. The CM base station will be monitored at the top of the hour for fifteen minutes at 10AM, 12PM and 3PM each day for non-life threatening emergency traffic, should the need arise. Please seek out a high vantage point to attempt calling the CM base station.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Folks, this is completely voluntary. If you have time and want to hang out in the Ham shack any time during CM, feel free.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Rising Sun member

Thursday I will be gone all day on Overnight Run, Friday if our group on Porcupine Rim gets back by 3 then I can monitor it for the 3:00 shift, Saturday I am gone on E-Hill all day.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Hey all you Ham operators out there. We need volunteers to monitor the CM Ham shack during the event. Please post up here or PM me if you can help.
Chris,

How would one "call" the base?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Base station is for emergency/priority traffic only...

The reasoning for having someone monitor the base station is to help with emergencies and priority traffic. If someone needs medical assistance an no other option (sat phones) are available or working, we can try the base station. If someone needs a spare part to get off of a trail, try calling the base station.

Officially we are assimilating some of the wilderness protocol for the national simplex calling frequency, which is:

The Wilderness Protocol is a suggestion that those outside of repeater range should monitor standard simplex channels at specific times in case others have Emergency or priority calls.

Recommended Use of "Wilderness Protocol" (Which will be loosely followed at Cruise Moab)

--Montior the PRIMARY- 146.460 and any or all of the frequencies used by trail runs.

--MONITOR TIMING- Every 3 hours from 0700 HRS ..from the hour until 5 (five) minutes past the hour.(7:00-7:05 AM, 10:00-10:05 AM, ..., 10:00-10:05 PM). (We would only monitor specific times officially)

--ALTERNATE TIMING- 0655 to 0705, Etc 5 before til 5 after..(watch may be incorrect)

--LISTEN EVERY HOUR. (We would not have the volunteer operators to do so)

Bring this "Wilderness Protocol" up at (DRIVERS) meetings, mention it on the air

--*NOTE- 146.52 IS A CALLING FREQUENCY.... Make your Calls, and then move off the frequency so others can use the frequency. Suggested frequencies to move to; 146.55, 146.43, etc.
These are CALLING FREQUENCIES, and the CALLING should only start at 4 minutes after the hour preceded by listeing for 30 seconds...LISTEN FIRST- CALL CQ with short transmissions, then carefully listen. LISTEN FIRST! always a good idea!

Last edited by Groucho; 04-24-2008 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Changed the primary base station freq to actual...
Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

So, I guess, the short answer is we will monitor 146.460 for calls on an ad hoc basis. Any lengthy conversations will be moved off the frequency. Base station operators will be using their own call sign.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Call CQ and ask for stations monitoring the frequency...

Anyone calling for assistance from the base station would announce that they are doing so by calling CQ on the 146.460 frequency and asking if there is anyone monitoring. If there is someon monitoring the base station, they would reply stating their own callsign and their QTH (Slickrock CG).

This is all unless volunteers are known in advance, and then packets would be stuffed with a list of the volunteers, their callsigns and the time they will be monitoring. That way anyone trying to reach the base station would be calling a specific station, since the event does not have a callsign (yet).
Old 04-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

"This is Dave, I’m changing frequency Rising Sun. Headed to Bill’s house today. What frequency works for you? Rising Sun base station will be using 146.460 in Moab and two repeaters at 146.760 and 146.900. I’ll also make sure he’s got the trail/frequencies from Groucho's crib sheet. Driving out, what frequency will the Saturday caravaners be using? Will you be listening to Bill on the Colorado Connection Repeater along I-70 or 146.460?"

I tired my best. The first sentence didn't make sense to me. You really dug deep to get two of those, didn't you?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Somebody talks to me like that on the radio, they're gonna get dead air.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
KC0PEG, QSY Rising Sun. Headed to Red_Chili's QTH today. QSS? QIF Rising Sun in Moab 146.460 simplex as base and two Moab repeaters at 146.760 and 146.900. I'll also make sure he's got the trail/frequencies from Groucho's crib sheet. Driving out, QIF Saturday caravaners? QSX KD0RCH CCR along I-70 or 146.460?

I'll buy a beer for the person who decodes this, too...

FREAK!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior