Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default My last mod before Moab... Hi-lift mount

So, I am going to mount my hi-lift onto the swing out of my bumper before I head out for Moab on Monday. I have one of those fancy vinyl covers for it too.

I was going to just bolt it up to the swing out with a few grade 8 bolts. Is there anything you'd do, or wish you'd done in mounting one of these things before? I have one of those handle isolators too, but not sure it will fit into the cover.

Thanks, looking to add this once, then pull it off when not wheeling!

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
I have one of those handle isolators too, but not sure it will fit into the cover.
It does on mine...you can't have the isolator all the way at the top as the cover is "fitted" and it is a tight fit, but it worked...

The bad thing is, at least for me, I had to punch holes through the brand new cover for the bolt to go through...I bought some grommets to put over the holes but found it impossible to add them on account I needed one each side and due to how far up the bolt was.

Quote:
Thanks, looking to add this once, then pull it off when not wheeling!
That is what I do...Too tempting of an item to leave on there, even if you secure it with a cable, IMHO. Plus, in general the need for it (for me anyway) only comes into play a few times a year .
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Is there anything you'd do, or wish you'd done in mounting one of these things before?
Well, my HZJ75 had a really nice hilift mount on the front bullbar. The only thing I wished I'd'a' done differently was swap the stoopid SAE bolts and nuts for proper JIS metric, and had wingnuts.

In my 71 FJ40, I just tossed it in the back along the driver's side fenderwell and strapped it in with 1" nylon straps (and stoopid plastic buckles that always come loose). But it works fine and isn't hard to get to when I need to use it. It doesn't impinge on cargo space too much and stays out of the way there. Being "indoors" it certainly doesn't rust like the other one did on the front bumper. One of these days I need to find a better place for it, but if you're packing up for Moab right now, it's too late to be worrying about where to mount your hilift. Toss it in there, tie it down and call it good.

Happy cruisin'!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/