Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Nathaniel, any idea why I have a little wire coming off my antenna, what does that need to be grounded to? the body? thanks!

Drew
bump...

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Doh!

Quote:
Nathaniel, any idea why I have a little wire coming off my antenna, what does that need to be grounded to? the body? thanks!

Drew
My bad. The only thing I can think of right off is that electronically the antenna is shorted to ground. I don't know which brand and model of antenna you have, so I am unclear as to how it is set up.

This would be similar to the homebrew 2M HAM antenna. I would connect it to your well set up braid from the tire carrier to the truck. If I was me.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds good, I think it is a Wilson 1000 or something like that. I will run the wire to the tire carrier... you think the strap is the best spot for it to tie into correct?

Thanks man, I didn't have any realy problems in Moab, but I did notice I had trouble reaching the other end of the group when we were really spread out. But by then we were all around corners and out of "line of sight."

Thanks!

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
...but I did notice I had trouble reaching the other end of the group when we were really spread out...
When are you taking the Technician's test? The HAM should improve things...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

Drew

From Wilson's site:

1. What is that wire at the bottom?
Wilson's exclusive impedance matching transformer is connected through the external wire at the bottom of the FGT and Flex series of antennas. It is NOT a "ground wire" to increase the ground of the antenna, although using the lead does make the antenna DC ground. It is used when you are not able to get below a 2.0:1 SWR even after tuning. This generally indicates a mismatch of impedance between the coax and the antenna. This can be caused by poor ground but is generally attributed to the mounting location. It re-inserts 25 ohms impedance at the antenna feed point and brings the system back to the 50 ohms required. It is not a tunable device, therefore it is not fooling the radio into thinking the system is matched. It is actually matching the antenna and feed point to the required 50 ohms impedance for the coaxial cable. The most often time it will be used is when the antenna is mounted on the top of tool box in the bed of a pick-up, or on the passenger side of a tractor using co-phased antennas.

2. What if I do not need the impedance wire?
You have the choice of either cutting it off or taping it out of the way. In making your choice, consider if you may move the antenna to another vehicle, that installation might require the lead. For the most versatile use of the lead, simply lay it alongside the fiberglass and tape it in place. Using electrical tape will offer the easiest method and offer the best protection against weathering conditions.