Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I have way too many tools, like 16mm sockets and 8 philips screwdrivers but no regulars, etc. I'll be going through a lot of that and trying to trim down what I can. Also too much recovery stuff, like a bag full of Hi Lift things I've never even used (the baseplate, those chain things, the Sleedaptor, etc.) I guess we all need to carry a Hi Lift though, that's on the requirement list, too bad I kind of liked how mine was at home in the garage during Moab, I didn't miss it one bit.

For parts I've got some spare belts, also bearings, front axle parts, and fluids about one container of everything. I agree we all don't need to bring spare birfields and driveshafts, and 4 or 5 hub sockets between us ought to be more than plenty. We should also talk about food. I think we should have a planning meeting some point in the near future to nail down exactly what we need and who can carry it, spreading some of the weight across the group. I'm willing to host that if you guys don't mind driving up here.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post

We should also talk about food. I think we should have a planning meeting some point in the near future to nail down exactly what we need and who can carry it, spreading some of the weight across the group. I'm willing to host that if you guys don't mind driving up here.
Definitely. Between all of who have fridges we should be able to divvy up some stuff. Breakfast - do we cook eggs or bring milk for cereal?, Lunch - Lunch meat or tuna, bread, mayo, cheese maybe? Dinner - we could probably get creative and pre-make chili or gumbo and freeze enough for everyone. I saw a dutch oven at Costco Saturday. Does anyone have one of those? Should we get one? Steaks or burgers one night, I assume?

I'll probably be up for at least one shower on the trip, maybe more. Who has showers? I figure toilets aren't to much of a problem.

We need to meet. Sooner than later, probably. It will be here before we know it.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have (and pretty sure was gonna bring) a 12" dutch oven and a 3-burner Coleman stove that I assumed we use for group cooking. A 12" oven can usually support about 6 to 8 servings, so we could use another one at least. I have a big cast iron griddle that fits the 3-burner stove that works great for group pancakes and stuff. What Imelda lacks in hard core 4WD ability, she makes up for in other places!

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you guys a traveling together, then 2 sets of tools should be plenty. Make sure you have a front and rear driveshaft. Trunion bearings, one front hub with wheelbearings, knuckle studs, cone washers and all associated hardware for a front axle. 54 nuts, star washer, lock washer.

Also a set of hub studs, cone washers, nuts and dowel pins. As well as the drill bit the same size and the dowel pins. A spare drive flange with one of the knubs ground down so you can use it for the template to relocate the dowel pins in case you shear them off. Can also use this driveplate for a spare.

Valve steps, tire plug kit. 6 spare wheel studs and 6 lug nuts. Press these into the tire carrier on the bumper and remove them if needed.

All the bolts from a knuckle assembly as well. The top trunion cap, caliper bolts etc. Set of front and rear brake pads. Also try to get a brake line cap (old brake line fitting with a small piece of line that is soldered shut) Helps to cap the brake system if you trash a brake line.

For 80 guys I would also relocate the rear hard line on the axle to above the panhard mount. The current location leaves much to be desired for ending up in a rock garden.

Look at your rear axle on the DS side right behind the panhard bar and you will see what I mean.

Also, unless everyone has replaced their high pressure and low pressure steering hoses I would take a spare of those, as well as one pump.

I would also have a spare set of rod ends as well as a tie rod and drag link.

If you spread this out between the group then the weight should not be such a big issue.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I have (and pretty sure was gonna bring) a 12" dutch oven and a 3-burner Coleman stove that I assumed we use for group cooking.
I do have a 2-burner Coleman stove that uses the bottles that I could bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
If you guys a traveling together, then 2 sets of tools should be plenty. Make sure you have a front and rear driveshaft. Trunion bearings, one front hub with wheelbearings, knuckle studs, cone washers and all associated hardware for a front axle. 54 nuts, star washer, lock washer.

Also a set of hub studs, cone washers, nuts and dowel pins. As well as the drill bit the same size and the dowel pins. A spare drive flange with one of the knubs ground down so you can use it for the template to relocate the dowel pins in case you shear them off. Can also use this driveplate for a spare.

Valve steps, tire plug kit. 6 spare wheel studs and 6 lug nuts. Press these into the tire carrier on the bumper and remove them if needed.

All the bolts from a knuckle assembly as well. The top trunion cap, caliper bolts etc. Set of front and rear brake pads. Also try to get a brake line cap (old brake line fitting with a small piece of line that is soldered shut) Helps to cap the brake system if you trash a brake line.

For 80 guys I would also relocate the rear hard line on the axle to above the panhard mount. The current location leaves much to be desired for ending up in a rock garden.

Look at your rear axle on the DS side right behind the panhard bar and you will see what I mean.

Also, unless everyone has replaced their high pressure and low pressure steering hoses I would take a spare of those, as well as one pump.

I would also have a spare set of rod ends as well as a tie rod and drag link.

If you spread this out between the group then the weight should not be such a big issue.
I do have a complete set of front & rear axles for a 40 as well as a couple of hubs. Not sure I have trunnion bearings and wheel bearings. I'll have to check. I have a spare 3rd member, but Tony Twiddy said we could rely on the local guys for stuff like that.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I have the spare 80 driveshafts I already planned on bringing.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I've got my old tie rod and drag link w/ ends that we could drag along if needed, also my front driveshaft- maybe just take the little spline end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
... A spare drive flange with one of the knubs ground down so you can use it for the template to relocate the dowel pins in case you shear them off. Can also use this driveplate for a spare.

Hey Christo how about putting together a little used parts care package for your boys here? the drive flange, knuckle parts, steering arms, etc. Or how about I swing by some night and rob what I need from one out back? you can have it all back when we return, or we could just call it the official Rising Sun Sleeoffroad 80 Recovery Package (RSS8RP) that travels with the club each summer as we take over the next TLCA event? Comes in a fancy Sleeoffroad recovery bag, complete with inventory sheet and price list- call me crazy...

But it would be cool to have a complete knuckle with us. I also had a thought that I should just buy another set of stainless brake lines, keep them in the plastic then if no one needs them return them? In fact for that matter why not a new tie rod set & new DC shaft, no use getting my hands dirty with old parts

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

The one thing Tony told me that stuck with me is "pack light". As light as possible, I guess. The thinking being with too much extra weight in your vehicle it could get you in trouble easier.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

We need to set a date now so we can all meet and see what everyone is going to bring. I know we have a fridge, Engel 45, and any and all camping equipment needed. I have parts for the truck but what do I bring.

We only have 4/5 weeks before the trip is here and I really don't want to be in a panic again like I was before CM.

We need to pick night or day that we can all meet see what everyone has and what we all need to bring.

Here are some dates to toss around; All in May

Friday 16th

Monday 19th

Tuesday 20th

Then we are into Memorial Day Weekend. I would really like to get this meeting done before then. I did not add weekends to the meeting dates as I know most of you are busy with your family and or work. We can meet on a Saturday morning/night if that is what everyone wants. We just need to set a date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I could do Monday or Tuesday.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.