Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
You just ran Kane Creek which is rated 4 out of 5, and you did it open. So what if you spun a little.
we should be treading lightly. Pretty soon that line on the left won't be passable without a locker either.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
we should be treading lightly. Pretty soon that line on the left won't be passable without a locker either.
This just seems like a good next step for how we have been playing. There is a certain satisfaction of getting over things open/open, but the liberal use of the skinny pedal will result in less than desireable breakage at some point.

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
FWIW, for all the supposed problems and issues with ARBs, I have had few.
In my first hand observation, I have seen a number of issues with ARBs, and every single one of them was related to air, none to mechanical breakage.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Air, especially the mounting of the compressor, and the routing of the air lines, are the biggest variables. Easy to get right though.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Air, especially the mounting of the compressor, and the routing of the air lines, are the biggest variables. Easy to get right though.
I've seen countless compressor failures, solenoid issues and airline mishaps, but I have also seen many o-ring failures. The ironic thing about most failing ARB issues is how many times you hear "I've never had a problem with mine...except the time...." The carriers are bullet proof! Great concept but pressurized air is not the answer, IMNSHO...
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Everyone can justify their own purchases.

auto locker guys will tell you how much money they saved and how good they are on the street, and how dumb it is to spend money on a selectable. Selectable guys will tell you how worth it the money they spent was, and how awesome they are, and how terrible auto lockers are.

As far as the ARB stuff goes:

ARB failure is only due to install plain and simple. Proper install = years of excellent use and no failure. Improper mounting of the solenoids will cause them to collect dirt and fail. Improper routing of the airline will allow it to hit hot things, and leak. Improper install on the oring clip or the wrong type of oil, or chipped gears will get the o rings.

I disagree with the "except this one time" statement. I know several guys running ARB's and only one has had issue, due to the fact that he was running the wrong type of oil. Everyone else has had zero issues, myself included. Not except this one time issues, but zero issues.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default Cross post

Interestingly I was surfing Mud this morning (getting rarer and rarer) and found this post......

http://forum.ih8mud.com/3311653-post3.html
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

With apologies to Paul Harvey, the "rest of the story"
Quote:
Don't worry too much guys. This air locker had been in my FJ40 for about 14 years. It had seen a lot of abuse. It was my daily driver as well as weekend wheeler. I run a 2F /sm420 along with a Toybox down to 37" IROKs. That locker saw a lot of torque and a lot of miles. I think I put in around 170,000 miles before it gave up on the way to work one morning.
Quote:
Everyone can justify their own purchases.

auto locker guys will tell you how much money they saved and how good they are on the street, and how dumb it is to spend money on a selectable. Selectable guys will tell you how worth it the money they spent was, and how awesome they are, and how terrible auto lockers are.

As far as the ARB stuff goes:

ARB failure is only due to install plain and simple. Proper install = years of excellent use and no failure. Improper mounting of the solenoids will cause them to collect dirt and fail. Improper routing of the airline will allow it to hit hot things, and leak. Improper install on the oring clip or the wrong type of oil, or chipped gears will get the o rings.

I disagree with the "except this one time" statement. I know several guys running ARB's and only one has had issue, due to the fact that he was running the wrong type of oil. Everyone else has had zero issues, myself included. Not except this one time issues, but zero issues.
Bingo.

Decide what you want and how you want to wheel. I have driven Lockrites and installed one in my son's truck, then yanked it - he hated it, and so did I. YMMV. It sits on a shelf. I would happily give it to a friend of mine who can in no way afford any locker, but he would have to live with the quirks in his hunting truck. He'd probably be just fine.

I prefer selectables, as it is important to me to have the 'open' option, and my choices are air and electric. I use both. I like the function of air better in the field - faster engagement and disengagement - but use electric and will put an electric in my DD just cuz I have one.

They all have their pluses and minuses, even open does. We subject equipment to severe service, no other way to say it.

Everything breaks, some sooner than others. For every broken ARB (and this is the first I've seen) I would conservatively say there are ten or more of other options.
All of them are the minority however.

Use what fits your style.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.