Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default IFS Mini Spare Steering Parts

So, question about IFS steering (OK, this is probably directed at AxleIke) spare parts. If, say, one had a Total Chaos idler arm that required one to drill out the steering relay rod to 5/8", thus rendering it no longer usable with a stock idler arm. And one wanted to consolidate spare parts to minimize weight and space, what option do you think is the best solution?

Assumption: A second TC idler arm, being $325 now 4 years later, is 100% out of the question.

1. Continue to carry both a stock relay rod and idler arm, if one of them fails, change both.
2. Just drill out a relay rod to 5/8" already and ditch the spare stock idler arm.

I guess I'm asking, have you ever heard of a trail like, oh just for the sake of argument, the Rubicon, breaking a Total Chaos idler arm? I'd have to guess that if a TC idler broke, it's because the frame behind came with it.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've only ever heard of TC arms breaking in extreme jumping conditions (100mph nose dive sort of things, coincidently also wrecking the truck.)

So, I would advise you to drill out the stock relay rod, not bother with the idler arm, since its extremely unlikely that you will break it. I won't say impossible, but thats the way I'm leaning.

I would carry an inner and outter tie rod end, and one or two adjuster sleeves, as they are the weakest part.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 05-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I've only ever heard of TC arms breaking in extreme jumping conditions (100mph nose dive sort of things, coincidently also wrecking the truck.)

So, I would advise you to drill out the stock relay rod, not bother with the idler arm, since its extremely unlikely that you will break it. I won't say impossible, but thats the way I'm leaning.

I would carry an inner and outter tie rod end, and one or two adjuster sleeves, as they are the weakest part.
Yeah, my line of thinking is the same, just wanted validation. :-)

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

What is this fixation with bringing back seriously old threads?

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead