Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Notices

Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

When we decide how many group meals we can divide the group into "chefs." Each "chef" group can then be responsible for 1 group meal. Hows that fly?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Trouble I forsee with sooo many "group" meals is the effort to make prepare food for 24+ people! How about some more brainstorming folks? 71 views and 12 posts?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Default yes this is a duplicate post

Guys I have reviewed the latest from the spare parts, food, shelter, and other random threads and did my best to get it all into one easy to digest spreadsheet. There are three pages, I hope you agree this is very easy to understand.

Please download, edit, etc., then just post it back up once you've made your changes. If you can just put today's date at the end of the file name, that will help keep revision levels in check. We can reference the latest version of this when we do our unofficial planning meeting next Friday, thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: xls rubithon_planning.xls (29.5 KB, 109 views)

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

I guess it all depends on how simple or complicated we want to get. We are eating breakfast burritos for the next 4 mornings in Moab. Premade and frozen we pull one out the night before and heat it in a skillet in the morning. If we keep breakfast simple to 2/3 items and the same for dinner we can do it.

I do agree we need to get more input from some of the others to chime in and either agree or ???? I guess we can wait till the end of the weekend and see what ever people decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-23-2008, 01:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
I guess it all depends on how simple or complicated we want to get.
x2

Think of "easy" meals.

Breakfast: eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, tortillas, even pancakes.

Dinners: Burgers, dogs, spaghetti (sauce premade and frozen, just heat it up and boil the noodles), etc.

What might be an issue is having enough cooking space and cook ware to make that much food at one time , especially at breakfast. And bringing that much food in...We have what, at least 2 breakfasts to make while camping? Say we do breakfast burritos on those two days and each person uses 2 eggs per burrito. 24 people x 2 days x 2 eggs per day = 96 eggs...8 dozen eggs and no seconds

Just thinking logistics here.

Oh, and I have a Coleman stove and a Weber grill (mini size) that use the small propane bottles that can be brought along if needed. Seems to me, for just breakfast, we would need 4-6 stoves going. A couple for eggs, a couple for hash browns, and 1 each for bacon and sausage...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 05-23-2008, 05:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Trouble I forsee with sooo many "group" meals is the effort to make prepare food for 24+ people! How about some more brainstorming folks?
That was going through my mind after I suggested it, too. Our biggest hut trip groups are about 16 people and that usually ends up with about 4 'chefs' per meal. It has always worked OK because the 10th Mt Division huts are set up with propane burners and kitchens that can handle it.

As long we stick to stuff that can be done a big scale, it'll work. For example, you can get that egg substitute stuff in 32 ounce cartons. This is the same as about 16 eggs I think. This is usually enough for a hut trip and keep in mind we are traveling with 35 lbs backpacks in the backcountry on skis. If we bring 64 ounces (so 2 Nalgene bottles) of Egg Beaters, I'd bet that would be more than enough for ~25 people.

Maybe chili another night, that's pretty easy to scale up. A BBQ, another possibility. Add a dutch oven rice dish and a cobbler, life is good.

I think the biggest issue to making sure we have enough appliances to handle the group. It wouldn't be fun to try to feed 25 people with an MSR Whisperlite. But 2 or 3 Coleman stoves, that should be fine. My 3 burner with it's griddle can make about 6 pancakes at a time and add a second stove with a pan and we're turning over pancakes and bacon for 2 or 3 people every couple of minutes. I think it'll work fine.

But I'm just throwing out ideas, here.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Guys I have reviewed the latest from the spare parts, food, shelter, and other random threads and did my best to get it all into one easy to digest spreadsheet. There are three pages, I hope you agree this is very easy to understand.

Please download, edit, etc., then just post it back up once you've made your changes. If you can just put today's date at the end of the file name, that will help keep revision levels in check. We can reference the latest version of this when we do our unofficial planning meeting next Friday, thanks.
Nice work on the spreadsheets Tim! I'm not quite sure why you felt the need for them as it kinda kills the communication/discussion side of things in my opinion. I guess we can continue productive discussion on line and you can document it on the spreadsheets??? I'm just not that smart I guess...
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

We might do better at doing "pot luck" strategies. Everyone does a small part in the process. I'm just not sure. Hopefully today we will here from more of the group.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
We might do better at doing "pot luck" strategies. Everyone does a small part in the process. I'm just not sure. Hopefully today we will here from more of the group.
I like that idea, particularly for dinners. As I sit here and think about that, it seems like a really good idea. The extent of the group planning is then to maybe divide up what sorts of dishes everyone makes to avoid having 5 pies and no main course.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I like that idea, particularly for dinners. As I sit here and think about that, it seems like a really good idea. The extent of the group planning is then to maybe divide up what sorts of dishes everyone makes to avoid having 5 pies and no main course.
Exactly! I just was snooping around and of course when one thinks about domestic expedition type wheeling and great food one club comes to mind right away! Check out this little blurb from NorCal Wagons...
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior