Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

I installed mine on Friday. Drove to Durango and back this weekend. I have not topped off the tank yet from the return drive, but I did not see any improved fuel economy after the first two tanks. I remain at 17.4 MPG for HWY driving and actually a little higher goofing off around town?

I'll let you know what the 3rd tank shows.

But:
1. How long does it take the ECU to adjust to a new MAF sensor?
2. Could those of you who have seen an increase in economy have benefited just as much from cleaning your existing MAF sensor?

Over all I "think" the truck runs a little smoother at and just off idle, but as Chris pointed out it could just be a $300 "power of suggestion"
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I installed mine on Friday. Drove to Durango and back this weekend. I have not topped off the tank yet from the return drive, but I did not see any improved fuel economy after the first two tanks. I remain at 17.4 MPG for HWY driving and actually a little higher goofing off around town?

I'll let you know what the 3rd tank shows.

But:
1. How long does it take the ECU to adjust to a new MAF sensor?
2. Could those of you who have seen an increase in economy have benefited just as much from cleaning your existing MAF sensor?

Over all I "think" the truck runs a little smoother at and just off idle, but as Chris pointed out it could just be a $300 "power of suggestion"
Couple of questions for ye....

Have you removed and plugged your fuel pressure regulator and did you pull the EFI fuse or disconnected the battery for at least 5 minutes after installation so the ECU can relearn?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Have you removed and plugged your fuel pressure regulator
Whatcha mean here? Removed and plug the FPR? Do you mean plug the vacuum port, turning it essentially into just a pulse damper? Roger Brown suggests for the 22R-E to reroute the FPR vacuum to come straight off the intake and bypass the VSV circuit, but it's still supposed to adjust for manifold vacuum.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Have you removed and plugged your fuel pressure regulator and did you pull the EFI fuse or disconnected the battery for at least 5 minutes after installation so the ECU can relearn?
yes & yes (well not after but during as a standard precaution when working on any part of the electrical system)
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Whatcha mean here? Removed and plug the FPR? Do you mean plug the vacuum port, turning it essentially into just a pulse damper? Roger Brown suggests for the 22R-E to reroute the FPR vacuum to come straight off the intake and bypass the VSV circuit, but it's still supposed to adjust for manifold vacuum.
Yes. The sensor Rick uses is much more linear in range witch allows the ECU to change the duty cycle of the injectors much smoother and yo a greater degree, Having the fuel pressure change suddenly off idle or under load will create a rich condition.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Finally filled up for the 3rd time this morning. 17.1 MPG. So after repeating almost the same 600-700 mile test I got for all practical purposes the same MPG with the new MAF sensor.

What are others getting? Any thoughts to my numbers?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I'd be very happy with 17.1. My "baseline" numbers are going to and coming back from Moab, where I'm typically in the 13.4 range. I haven't really driven the 80 much (and try not to) since the MAF mod, so my next real test will be going out to Rubithon.

[rubithon hijack]
In fact I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how 10 of our trucks all compare, tank after tank, seeing how the S/C guys do compared to the non-S/C guys, the MAF mods vs. the non-MAF, etc. Maybe we should start a little pool.. whose 80 will get the best and worst MPG? [/hijack]

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

All depends on driving style. Those that can keep out of it, won't see much of a change. Those who constantly drive WFO are more likely to see a gain. Closed loop operation is increased by the new MAF and, in theory, will maintain closed loop operation throughout a wider range of situations than before.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 06-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

I had a "lopey" idle for about a week after I installed mine. My best guess was that it took 6 or so starts & runs to update the LTFT (and whatever other adjustments the ECU "remembers"). It's been rock-steady since.

You should have simply removed the vacuum line to the FPR, NOT plugged it.

I have tracked virtually every tank of gas since I bought my rig. Comparing the 6mo before the MAF and the 6mo after:
Before:After
Best Tank - 15.2:15.5
Average - 11.0:12.9
Median - 12.9:13.4

I tend to experiment in different areas over time (both before and after), but no major changes that would explain the MPG improvements (other than the MAF).

In looking a the actual data since the MAF installation (12.5, 11.8, 14.6, 14.1, 13.5, 13.9, 13.4, 7.0, 13.7, 13.0, 12.8, 11.2, 15.5, 13.5, 12.5), it looks like the first two tanks had a little lower mileage. Could have been me playing with WOT air flows, though, rather than something intrinsic.

Do you notice difference when you're driving down the freeway?

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
[rubithon hijack]
In fact I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how 10 of our trucks all compare, tank after tank, seeing how the S/C guys do compared to the non-S/C guys, the MAF mods vs. the non-MAF, etc. Maybe we should start a little pool.. whose 80 will get the best and worst MPG? [/hijack]
Someone mentioned to me that the ECU's in 96 are different than 97. Specifically, driving a 96 and a 97 in tandem (same route, same time, same speed, same trip), the 97 consistently got ~1MPG better than the 96. I'd be curious to see if that pattern holds out on your trip.

And how about those snorkles? Exhaust reworks?

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune