Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of those side bars?
Way cool. Great looks, enhanced protection, everyone should own a set 6 42.86%
All bling- no added protection, just looks.. if you're into that sort of thing. 6 42.86%
Lame with a capital F. And you are so stupid for even looking at those in the first place 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I used to wheel a bit with a guy in the capital cruisers, robert renediu? He had these on his 80 and while I was skeptical of their worth them seemed to do a really good job. Obviously they can't take big hits from rocks and trees etc but your going to get damage without them in the same senario if you ask me. It keeps the little to moderate stuff from damage which I do think it works. I'd was actually hoping I could get or make a set for the 70. I think the biggest issue is the way the clamp is used to secure it to the bull bar.

I dunno if I like the look on the 80, I'd pull the fender flares if I had one But I don't so I can armchair wheel your 80
TLCA#4180
Old 03-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ok, I voted Lame with a Capital F just for fun

Seriously, I'd probably rather have the plastic that can bend if I was going to have anything...but then again I personally think the first trail mod on an 80 (after ditching the running boards) is to remove the flares. This narrows the 80's body by 3"-4", and I've found that it can still carry a latte pretty well .

Without flares on an 80 you have the tires sticking out past the sheetmetal (especially if you go to a 12.5" size) providing your first and best line of defense. Bling factor is zero for most folks, though...but I think the 80 looks better without flares, so I get some personal and admittedly unshiny bling for a free mod.

Nay
Old 03-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Rising Sun member

Hm...after reading posts from the more experienced looks like these aren't as useful as I've thought since first seeing the option. Good to know. Also didn't know there was a support that goes over the cowl, which is cool but if I had an 80 I would hope that I wouldn't plan on laying it over often enough to need all that support

My job this summer is going to pay for tires and shocks. No excuses.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay
...but then again I personally think the first trail mod on an 80 (after ditching the running boards) is to remove the flares.

Nay
That's makes sense. But, doesn't that leave your nice looking 80 with holes all over the place?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner
That's makes sense. But, doesn't that leave your nice looking 80 with holes all over the place?
Sure does, but that's where white is nice for plug color matching.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Lifted

i voted nay,

if your afraid to dent your rig.....dont wheel it
Old 03-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

They are CDMs.

Or, as Christo would say, Crash Damage Multipliers.

I must say though, the upper hinge tubing on the driver's side of the Chili has seen service as a rock and tree deflector, with gouges to prove it. I wish I had had one on the passenger side a while back, where a dent is now. But my tubing is DOM and welded in place, vs. the ARB setup.

I don't like denting my rig, and *I* wheel it...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.