Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
All depends on driving style. Those that can keep out of it, won't see much of a change. Those who constantly drive WFO are more likely to see a gain. Closed loop operation is increased by the new MAF and, in theory, will maintain closed loop operation throughout a wider range of situations than before.
I think you may have just hit the nail on the head!

Since the MAF, I can no longer get into open loop unless I'm at WOT. Even just a smidge off of WOT under heavy load at altitude, it stays closed loop. The only other condition where I can force open loop is shifting into 2nd and holding high RPM at very heavy loads.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
You should have simply removed the vacuum line to the FPR, NOT plugged it.
The instructions say to pull of the vacuum line and plug/cap the ends that the line use to be attached to . Rick even includes the little caps, although they are way too long and need to be carefully and expertly trimmed down to fit...Just ask Matt
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I'd be very happy with 17.1. My "baseline" numbers are going to and coming back from Moab, where I'm typically in the 13.4 range.
I'm still stock height and tires. With a 4" & 35" I'm sure my 17+ would decrease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Those that can keep out of it, won't see much of a change.
This probably explains most of it, however I'm constantly running wide open to get over the passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
You should have simply removed the vacuum line to the FPR, NOT plugged it.

Do you notice difference when you're driving down the freeway?
I plugged them per instructions, you say no?

I have not really noticed real difference with how it drives freeway or city. I'd only say it "seems" a little more sluggish on the pass honesty.

Maybe I'll plug in my scanner on the way home to monitor some things.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 06-06-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Mr. Corsair23 and I did my MAF mod yesterday evening. Not hard at all. The truck immediately ran better, just based on my own experience driving the truck every day. No hesitation off the line, smoother operation and shifting. Also, seems like it gained some power too.

I'm running 35-inch tires with 4.88 gears. No supercharger. It's a 1996. I stopped tracking mileage a few months ago, since my speedo is significantly off. I'll use the GPS to track mileage out to the Rubithon and get some numbers.

Honestly, I don't care about gas mileage in my 80 as much as I want more power. All the weight I've added to the truck has made it a beast. If I could find a supercharger, I'd probably buy it.

All in all, I think the MAF mod was worth every penny.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
The instructions say to pull of the vacuum line and plug/cap the ends that the line use to be attached to . Rick even includes the little caps, although they are way too long and need to be carefully and expertly trimmed down to fit...Just ask Matt
My bad. Just checked -- mine IS capped.

There was a big discussion a while ago on MUD, and someone tried to deny LT's empirical results. I just mis-remembered which was which.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 06-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I stopped tracking mileage a few months ago, since my speedo is significantly off. I'll use the GPS to track mileage out to the Rubithon and get some numbers.
I recalibrate mine every year driving to Moab. When I pass milemarker 100 on I-70 I write down the odometer reading. Then when I cross the Utah State line I write down the odometer reading. The difference between odometer readings from 100 miles becomes my new correction factor. Using so many miles gives very good precision. But then, I don't have a GPS

:-)
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the MAF mod. I'm not quite as blown away as, say, Nay is, but still this seems to make the truck run a little better. This morning going north on 470 between Morrison Road and I-70 I was able to hold that hill past Bandemiere, 70 mph without it shifting out of overdrive. Before to do this I would have had to have been in power mode, or turned O/D off. So I guess it's got a little more "stayin power..."

Looking forward to seeing some highway mileage next week.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

I dig it. But...I run 5.29's and 35's, and NVH is way down at upper RPM, and it is shifting smoother at higher RPM's. It doesn't change the world, it's just enough with my *light* 80 that I'm in the left hand lane passing up Monument Hill vs. the right hand lane bogging. The rig feels right now, not supercharged or anything, but just more ready to pull, without the NVH, rather than always on that edge of bogging down, even with the low gears. That's a subtle change, but one for me that increases driving pleasure and makes me more willing to hit 3,500-3,700 RPM for brief stretches at 70 mph in 3rd vs. slowing down to that higher pass crawl.

IMO, very well spent $300...but...my 80 is a bit atypical (gear ratio/tire size, weight) so my experience may be outside the statistical norm. I do carry my whole family of six on long trips, and I'm pretty sensitive to NVH issues despite my tire choices , so this is a mod that hits home for me in the dual use arena.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I have no idea what NVH is.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

NVH usually means Noise, Vibration, Harshness.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler