Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area > Rubithon 2008 planning

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Guys, it occurred to me last night that I wasn't too clear on how to get to Robb's Resort. Having been to Reno/Tahoe a few times in the past, I was figuring we'd want to go up past Mt. Rose, then down along the coast of Lake Tahoe, rather than more I-80 action.

So this would be the route then.. is this what the rest of you guys had in mind?
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf s.pdf (167.8 KB, 97 views)

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Mapquest says 3.5 hours from Reno. We pick Bruce up at about 8:00, then will allow for a quick grocery store trip, that probably doesn't get us to Robb's until after 11:00. You guys will still be up, right?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Rising Sun Commander

The other way, according to Mapquest, is to drive 3/4 the way to Sacto, then double back. This adds miles, but shaves off close to an hour of time. But I guess if it's dark out why do we care if we see/don't see the lake, right?

What about leaving on Sunday, will we be driving past Lake Tahoe? I just want to make sure our dignitary gets to see all the sites, since we're driving all this way..
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Whenever you show up will be fine.

We are leaving Monday. Want to be home for Fathers Day and Sarah is leaving two days later to go to out of the country for 5 weeks.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Sorry, I was referring to the next Sunday, the one that begins at Rubicon Springs. After we crest Cadillac hill, will we then drive past Lake Tahoe?

We're also leaving on Monday, heck I have to go to work in the morning..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tim,

I was "futzing" with Google maps last night and it looked like a good route was South out of Reno to Carson City, then Hwy 50 to Robb's.

Per Google from Reno:

I80 to Auburn then Wentworth Springs to Ice House Rd to Robb's is ~150 miles, 2hrs 45mins

Hwy 395 South to Hwy 50 then to Ice House Rd to Robb's is ~119 miles, 2hrs 43 mins

Looks to be about a wash time wise but not mileage wise.

Anyone chatted with a local re: where to fuel up on Tuesday before the Wednesday departure? Not knowing what is around there for gas, maybe the route in will have to be based on where fuel can be had...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Tim,

I was "futzing" with Google maps last night and it looked like a good route was South out of Reno to Carson City, then Hwy 50 to Robb's.

Per Google from Reno:

I80 to Auburn then Wentworth Springs to Ice House Rd to Robb's is ~150 miles, 2hrs 45mins

Hwy 395 South to Hwy 50 then to Ice House Rd to Robb's is ~119 miles, 2hrs 43 mins

Anyone chatted with a local re: where to fuel up on Tuesday before the Wednesday departure? Not knowing what is around there for gas, maybe the route in will have to be based on where fuel can be had...
Fill up ANYWHERE but Ice House then top off at IceHouse. Ice House is very inflated in an already inflated fuel price area. There is several opportunities from Tahoe up the American River canyon.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Tim,

Per Google from Reno:

Looks like you're right, going through Carson City adds 2 minutes, but subtracts about 30 miles? Ok, that may be be the preferred route then, at least for those of us on the "late shift." And it may be faster than that, I know from experience Carson City is only 30-35 minutes from Reno, and you can be in Minden in an hour.. a lot of folks make that commute actually, Washoe Valley to Reno is a lot like Castle Rock to Denver, just smaller roads.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I posted a request for help over in the thread on Mud that a bunch of the Rubithon committee has been monitoring.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Rock Stacker

Take i-80 down through Tahoma (89) and then 50 up Ice House.

If anyone is trailering, this would be a great way to dump your trailer/tow vehicle, as Tahoma is where Rubicon exits.

Don't go 395 to 50, and don't go through Auburn. The drive around Tahoe is phenomenal

edit -- looking at your 3 routes, route 1 would be the best. Route 2 takes you in through Georgetown/Wentworth springs, and could be a long drive. Usually, people enter via Highway 50, Ice House road
Attached Images

TLCA #7704
72 FJ40 * "Mudrak Improved"
07 TRD FJC

Last edited by woooody; 06-11-2008 at 02:44 PM.