Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had Coopers a long while ago on my '82 pickup. Couldn't keep them balanced, they kept shifting belts.

Mind you, that was a long time ago and things change. My memory of them stuck with me though.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Yes I have Truxus M/T's and it is a love/hate relationship. Mileage of an off road tire is a trade off. High traction in all enviornments and long life simply are not descriptions of the same tire (any tire!). When I first purchased my set it wasn't because of word of mouth but rather research. I wanted to run 315 BFG A/T's for longer life and quieter road manors and planned on 315 MT/R's for aggresive off highway use. The MTR's in 315/75R-16 were backordered and no solid delivery date was available. I asked many questions on alternatives and read what people who actually had them said. I went with a set based on the acquired knowledge with the though that if I hated them or when they wore out I would replace them with MT/R's. Well I still run them and to be honest I like them better than MT'R's by quite a margin! They do have faster wear than say an AT but they seem to have about the same usable (my interpretation of usable is when a tire no longer has the performance I expect then it's no longer usable, I also will not run a bald tire {bald IMO is when the wear bars have become part of the tread pattern} so when I consider a tire worn out others may still see it good for another 10k) life as MT/R's. I guess I'll break it down to pro's and con's to explain my experiance with them....

Pro's
Very quiet on highway!!!

tough sidewalls (for a radial)

true size

in stock and available at any 4WPW store.

Excellant traction on most surfaces (took a while to lean how much air to let out on icy snow....sidewalls are thick!)

excellant road hazzard warranty!

Stable to 80mph!

Con's
Need constant rotation/balance to keep wear uniform (I rotate/balance every 3500 miles when I change oil)

can be weight hungry ( I have one that has quite a bit of lead on the wheel)

20 to 25k max "usefull" life (probably will last at least to 30-35k)

Narrow profile (not really a con but not a pro either)

aggresive tread pushes a lot of air MPG is lower

4WPW couldn't balance a tire on a lawn mower!

ice traction is terrible unless air pressure is dropped to 10#'s or lower then
the ice traction is fantastic!

Not speed rated ( become egg shaped over 90mph!)

cant find a AT that is a true 35" tall for second set of tires

I'll add to the list as I think of more stuff.

Bottom line....I didn't expect much when I bought them now I don't see much that can compare in the high traction mall cruiser tire department that won't sound like a kazillion bumble bees rumbling down the road!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior

Last edited by Uncle Ben; 03-17-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
High traction in all enviornments and long life simply are not descriptions of the same tire (any tire!).
Hmmmm... I figgered the 40K+ miles I got on my last MT/Rs qualified as long life, but true, it ain't the 60K you might get with well-balanced and oft-rotated ATs I guess.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Hmmmm... I figgered the 40K+ miles I got on my last MT/Rs qualified as long life, but true, it ain't the 60K you might get with well-balanced and oft-rotated ATs I guess.
The question is how you get 60K+ nice and quiet miles on an AT when the words "oft-rotated" apply not to your tire shop but to spinning 'em out in the rocks...
Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

BTW, regarding spinning tires on wheels and thus requiring a rebalance...

I installed some auto balancers (Centramatic) on the Chili and they seem to work purty darn well. Not perfect, but I didn't expect perfect. They are a DURN sight better than lead weights though! Always reasonably smooth, just a little hop at 65-68 mph, most likely the tires themselves. Or sumthin'. Doesn't bother me.

I did have to sleeve my metric lugs with some shrink tube to make sure they centered (and they MUST be centered to work), not a huge deal. I also had to dish the rears when I went to rear disks, they worked fine with the stock drums.

The process of dishing the 'pizza plate' balancers also provided some endless mirth and delight for my wife, who threatened to take a movie and put it online. Good thing she is technologically challenged!
KDØRCH
Bio Page