Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
I've never had any trouble getting the cone washers off. It is getting the steering arm seat out of the knuckle bearing inner race that often gives me fits.
I've always used a brass drift to knock out the bottom one out throught the side of the knuckle then use it vertically through the bottom of the one just removed to knock out the top one.
TLCA#4180
Old 06-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

So here is my disc brake knuckle goodness getting ready to be cleaned up. The shims are on the posts right where they were. For me it will be easier to keep the orientation and placement correct - just have to make sure they don't accidentally slip off through the cleaning process.

Thanks for all the tips on getting the cone washers off. The bottom ones loosened up with a couple of taps on the knuckle body. I basically used the wesintl method to tap out the bottom and then pop out the top.

I tried using my puller but could not get the puller arms and bolt to line up straight enough to stay centered as the puller engaged. I'm thinking I may really need a pickle fork to get them separated. This is how the passenger side one currently looks. The driver side is just the same, just on the other side of the long pole.

On the good news side, the pile of parts that have gone through the washer is growing. The dust covers may need a bit more work to get the hazy dust off before hitting up with some spray paint.

Martin, you expressed a need for the 3rd member, it's yours for the taking. PM me to arrange getting it, only thing is I (my wife) would appreciate it if you also take the axle housing as well. It should be a bit lighter than when I picked it up, but it is still heavy enough to hold down those jack stands.

TLCA #18941
Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Wow Ricardo! I've seen a lot of rear steer setups over the years but this one is pretty unique!

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

found em ricardo, let me know if you still need em.
TLCA#4180
Old 06-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

The front axle rebuild kit and bearings arrived. It is going to be nice to have all the new innards. The old bearings would be ok to put back in but as they likely have fewer good days ahead of them than new ones - it seemed reasonable to go ahead and put in new ones at this time. The old ones will make good spares. Here are all the parts that arrived today.

I also started painting the iron and should complete that in the next couple of days. Wes, I may reach out and take you up on the puller and dials. That said, I should be able to make it out to the yard this week for a dial(s). I stopped by a place on S Santa Fe Thursday evening. They had a 60 but someone had already pulled the dials.

My plan is to remove everything from the front of the 40 this week and to put all the new stuff on this Saturday. I've put in an inquiry on the knuckle centering tool thread to see if I can borrow the SST. Better to measure and be sure than that to just re-use the old and not really know it it is off.
TLCA #18941
Old 06-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ricardo, what are you using for steering arms again?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Martin, you expressed a need for the 3rd member, it's yours for the taking. PM me to arrange getting it, only thing is I (my wife) would appreciate it if you also take the axle housing as well. It should be a bit lighter than when I picked it up, but it is still heavy enough to hold down those jack stands.
Yes sir, I'll take it along with the housing. I'll try to set something up for early this week. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Ricardo, what are you using for steering arms again?
I found this thread to be particularly valuable in doing the swap. In post #36, there are three options listed. I will be using the steering arms from the 60 and going with option #2, using the starter bushing part # SBO to account for the different taper. This post shows how to get the bushing in place.
TLCA #18941
Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Steering Arms are off

After researching a bit more, I found that I may have been expecting too much from my puller. It really won't pull the steering arm off, it is best used to put pressure on the connection so that when you tap the side of the steering arm it "pops" right off. This morning I went out to try this technique and one side came right off. The other side took a bit of work, but it also came off. The steering arms are in the parts washer soaking a bit.
TLCA #18941
Old 06-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Progress continued today with separating the steering arms from the rod, banging out the old bearing races and getting some paint on the iron parts. Here are the knuckles, steering arms and inner hubs.

The right knuckle.

The left knuckle.

The paint job will not win any awards, but it is nice to see these shine versus the grimy patina they had when removed. If nothing else being able to clearly see the R and L minimize the chances that I'll put them on the wrong side.
TLCA #18941