Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Wincher

Default Maximizing FZJ80 supercharger performance

I have two 1997 80's that are almost identical mechanically but one has noticably more power than the other. Here are the specifics:

TLC 1:
115,000 miles
Supercharged
NGK plug wires
Factory intake
Magnaflow exhaust
4.10 gears

TLC 2:
185,300 miles
Supercharged
Factory plug wires
Safari snorkel
Spark plugs changed 9 months ago or so
Factory exhaust
4.10 gears
(this is the one I have listed for sale)

TLC 2 has noticably more power off the line and when passing. Could it be that I just need a tune up? Could the transmission have that effect with no other symptoms? O2 sensors? Compression has not been checked on either since I have owned them.

I meant to post this long ago but now it became more urgent just incase I need to compair anything on them before I sell TLC 2.

Thanks.
Seth
Old 03-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

How's the timing between the two? On my supercharged 80 3* of initial timing makes a HUGE differance! Right now I'm at near stock initial timing and running the stock charger pulley and have the rising rate regulator vacuume line pulled so I can run mid grade fuel because of rising gas prices....I can barely beat a 4.7 runner right now but the MPG is back up to 14-15ish.
Just bumping the timing up 3* and running premium will completely change the whole torque curve and bring it in sooner!
The snorkle could be helping too as cooler/denser air will carry atomized fuel in suspension much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkel 1
I have two 1997 80's that are almost identical mechanically but one has noticably more power than the other. Here are the specifics:

TLC 1:
115,000 miles
Supercharged
NGK plug wires
Factory intake
Magnaflow exhaust
4.10 gears

TLC 2:
185,300 miles
Supercharged
Factory plug wires
Safari snorkel
Spark plugs changed 9 months ago or so
Factory exhaust
4.10 gears
(this is the one I have listed for sale)

TLC 2 has noticably more power off the line and when passing. Could it be that I just need a tune up? Could the transmission have that effect with no other symptoms? O2 sensors? Compression has not been checked on either since I have owned them.

I meant to post this long ago but now it became more urgent since I will be selling one just incase I need to compair anything on them.

Thanks.
Seth
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Trail Ready

Damn, Kevin! Reading replies like yours reminds me how much I still have to learn/how little I know! Also makes me glad that we have people in the club willing to share their knowledge...

Chris
(owned Cruisers for eight years and still a Noob!)
'99 F350 CC, 7.3 PSD
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
TLCA #7412

Statistics show that 95% of all Jeeps ever built are still on the road. The other 5% made it home.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
How's the timing between the two? On my supercharged 80 3* of initial timing makes a HUGE differance! Right now I'm at near stock initial timing and running the stock charger pulley and have the rising rate regulator vacuume line pulled so I can run mid grade fuel because of rising gas prices....I can barely beat a 4.7 runner right now but the MPG is back up to 14-15ish.
Just bumping the timing up 3* and running premium will completely change the whole torque curve and bring it in sooner!
The snorkle could be helping too as cooler/denser air will carry atomized fuel in suspension much better!
I will have to check the timing. I have always run premium in both.
-How do I find that vacuum line and do I just disconnect and clamp it to improve milage? For now milage may be more important. Are there any negative effects to this besides less power?
-I have heard that different pulleys are hard on the engine.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Wincher

Here is a response from the MUD forum:

That is a pretty wide question.

The snorkel could be part of it, the factory intake brings in a lot of hot air. With forced induction this could lead to detonation and resulting ignition timing retardation by the ECU, try premium gas, but the hot air still reduces the density of the intake charge even if you are not pinging.

The exhaust could be another, aftermarket exhaust can help or hurt depending on design and what the motor needs, main effect is velocity out of the exhaust port ands its effects on scavenging. Generally cat back systems do not have much of an effect either way.

I do not know specifically how reliable the TRD supercharger is but in general superchargers can develop seal problems where the pressure they produce is reduced.

could also just be LC#1 has engine troubles, overheating, carbon on the pistons, low compression, uneven flow in the injectors, out of spec valve lash, bad timing, poor valve seat, vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks that bring in air before the O2 sensor, etc etc

Any thoughts?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I will have to check the timing. I have always run premium in both.
-How do I find that vacuum line and do I just disconnect and clamp it to improve milage? For now milage may be more important. Are there any negative effects to this besides less power?
-I have heard that different pulleys are hard on the engine.

Thanks.
I'm sorry seth, my post was misleading. I'm pretty sure you do not have a secondary rising rate fuel regulator, someone would have had to install it. I was refering to my application. The stock set ups are designed to be self supporting and do not require any special consumer input other than the normal belts, hose inspection and maintainance.
Are the superchargers on both engines identicle? TRD/Kazuma did make a couple changes in both the charger and hoses.
Increasing boost is not nessesarily harder on the engine but it can be a catalyst to more abuse depending on how much harder the driver pushes the engine. With addition of more boost you will need to be more interactive and knowledgable about the mechanics involved under the hood. In other words you are changing a hands off, factory like accessory, to a performance altering, hands on upgrade. If you don't know what your doing you will destroy your engine! The stock TRD Supercharger develops between 4 - 5+ lbs of boost depending on your altitude, humidity, intake air temperature and how free flowing the exhaust is. Each 1/10th of an inch smaller diameter charger pulley will yield roughly around 1 more pound of boost. More boost requires more fuel and also increases the need for better grade fuel as it narrows the detonation threashold of the engine.
If your following along so far and know what I'm talking about ask more questions and I'll get more specific.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Wincher

I think I am following so far. Is there an easy way to tell if the superchargers are identical or not?

I don't think my daily driving habits would damage the engine with stock or increased boost. I will be pulling my 2500lb boat over the highway from time to time though. I hope the engine will stay cool.

I just want to get the performance (passing power, general drivability and low end torque, etc) I am used to with TLC2. Maybe later I will try to improve on that.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:26 AM
Wincher

I think I am following so far. Is there an obvious way to determine if the superchargers are the same or not? I assume the later model would be better?

I don't think my daily driving habits would damage the engine with stock or increaed boost. I will be pulling my 2500lb boat this summer which may cause cooling problems.

I just want to get the drivability and low end torque I am used to with TLC2. Maybe later I will try to improve on that as I get more comfortable with the mods.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I think I am following so far. Is there an easy way to tell if the superchargers are identical or not?

I don't think my daily driving habits would damage the engine with stock or increased boost. I will be pulling my 2500lb boat over the highway from time to time though. I hope the engine will stay cool.

I just want to get the performance (passing power, general drivability and low end torque, etc) I am used to with TLC2. Maybe later I will try to improve on that.
There is some cosmetic changes on the outside of the charger case. Also, TRD used better (blue) intake hoses on the latest version. Here is a pic of mine, is the latest version....
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I think I am following so far. Is there an obvious way to determine if the superchargers are the same or not? I assume the later model would be better?

I don't think my daily driving habits would damage the engine with stock or increaed boost. I will be pulling my 2500lb boat this summer which may cause cooling problems.

I just want to get the drivability and low end torque I am used to with TLC2. Maybe later I will try to improve on that as I get more comfortable with the mods.
Do you have a portable vacuum/pressure guage? If not I suggest you go to Sears or somewhere and buy one. I just clip the guage under the winshield wiper with it connected to a vacuum souce aft of the charger. Drive around noting both idle vacuum and WOT boost/RPM. That will tell you two things. Vacuum will give you a little insight on engine timing and valve sealing. Boost will show you if both units are playing the same game. A note on vacuum/boost guage's, get the largest face you can find! Pretty hard to note a .5lbs differance if your just watching a needle on a 2" face!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior