Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Rising Sun member

Agreed. Doing wheeling trips this weekend, I was 1 of 1 (out of 8 or so) with ham on one trip and 1 of 2 (out of 4) with ham on the other. There are so many other groups that you could come across, Jeeps, individuals, small groups of friends, that either have family radios or CBs that I still find my CB as my primary use radio. Only during Cruise Moab did I use my Ham more than the CB, and that was only on one or two days. Sounds like Ham is catching on with yotatech.com folks a bit, but I've heard nary a word from other groups I've run with recently. There's still tons of people who don't have a radio PERIOD!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
One note I have to make is since our club is now Ham equipped the CB's in several rigs are either not working well or in need of maintainance. This is a problem as for example on Caddy Hill, Bruce Schuck our assigned leader, was out of the loop and could not communicate with most of our group. I handed him my HT so he could get info that was being passed first hand but like I have said all along CB are and will be the main mode of trail communication for the masses and being elitist and relying only on Ham will handicap!
I had a problem with my CB on Cadillac hill. Turns out I had accidently switched it to PA mode (no PA speaker) so I thought it was dead. That was operator error not checking configuration before the trail run starts. Figured it out after about 10 minutes when I validated people were talking on the CB when asking over the 2m.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
One note I have to make is since our club is now Ham equipped the CB's in several rigs are either not working well or in need of maintainance. This is a problem as for example on Caddy Hill, Bruce Schuck our assigned leader, was out of the loop and could not communicate with most of our group. I handed him my HT so he could get info that was being passed first hand but like I have said all along CB are and will be the main mode of trail communication for the masses and being elitist and relying only on Ham will handicap!
In terms of usefullness, reliability, and operator understanding it would seem that Amateur Radio definitely makes an impact in the communication arena. The challenge I see when reading this thread is not that we need to get off of our HAM high-horse, but rather adapt to more of an Amateur Radio mentality of train, educate, and involve. By doing these things and doing them for the scope of trail communications instead of focusing on HAM as the only method will net the most benefits for everyone.

One thing I will point out. After so many years doing radio communications activities, and helping whenever I felt I could, I believe that there is one thing that separates the do's versus the don'ts. HAM radio insists that some sort of elementary understanding of the equipment and functionality be acquired before operation. It also makes aware that there are folks who will be whistle blowers on those who do not operate accordingly. Most folks who have problems with their rigs (CB's in the case mentioned by UB), have sort of a "warm water" approach to their communications equipment. They are not driven to be successful at their communications. For example, at CM2008 I saw someone who I gave several pointers to about maximizing their CB's signal. One of which was to not coil up the coax. This individual had not heeded any advice and had a coil of coax looped around the base of the antenna, so the coax just sat on the roof. Did their CB work? Probably. Would it be what I want to rely on as a trail leader in desparate need of urgent help? Not on your life.

Every time there is a question about radio communications if I can be of some help, I will. I will probably do it until I am blue in the face, even though my help might go on deaf ears. That is what we all need to do. Keep trying to educate, train and involve. If CB is going to continue to be the mainstay of avid outdoor folks, then it is in our best interest to do so. Maybe it will help improve radio communications across the board. We'll never get rid of the bad apples. But maybe we can help those who want to improve get better.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Every time there is a question about radio communications if I can be of some help, I will. I will probably do it until I am blue in the face, even though my help might go on deaf ears. That is what we all need to do. Keep trying to educate, train and involve. If CB is going to continue to be the mainstay of avid outdoor folks, then it is in our best interest to do so. Maybe it will help improve radio communications across the board. We'll never get rid of the bad apples. But maybe we can help those who want to improve get better.
It is because of this very professional group that I have purchased a 2m radio, studied for my test and am taking it on July 5th. Thanks for keeping the standards high! Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"

Last edited by Hulk; 07-01-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
It is because of this very professional group that I have purchased a 2m radio, studied for my test and am taking it on July 5th. Thanks for keeping the standards high! Terry
Good luck!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.