Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Birfield - Axle Removal SST

Does anyone going to the meeting today have the SST referred to in this post. I don't have one and could use it to separate the birfields from the axles?
TLCA #18941
Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Rising Sun member

You mean the 1 1/2" sch. 40 pipe? Hardware store man
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
You mean the 1 1/2" sch. 40 pipe? Hardware store man
A new hardware store unit would be missing the cruiser karma that is so vital for getting that nice clean separation of the parts.
TLCA #18941
Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

You need one for yourself, Ricardo, and you will be building the tool's own karma as soon as you start using it!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Rising Sun member

There's a pipe in a hardware store, with Cruiser Karma already imparted to it, just waiting for the guy with the goatee to come walking down the aisle, pick it up, look it over for length, continuity, and sheen, and take it home with him. This piece of pipe was predisposed for this service by the Cruiser gods, and is just waiting, waiting, watching all others pass by, knowing that a special purpose was intended for it. When someone else picks it up thinking they have need of it, they must put it down, never realizing the special need, always thinking there is some other reason why they do not need to remove this piece of hardware from the store today. And still the pipe waits, knowingly.

You have to have faith bro, you have to enter the karma It's out there, it's waiting for you. It knows you're coming
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Wincher

And the best part is that if you get a nice length of schedule 80 gas pipe, it makes a great cheater bar for leverage. Which will impart even more cruiser karma.

Check out my life
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I don't have one, I always use my jack handle for a cheater. the couple times I borrowed the sst. You could always stop over at hinton and see if they have any scrap or buy a piece. There are other ways to seperate but none work near as well as the sched 40 pipe.
TLCA#4180
Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Rising Sun member

Yeah, don't waste your time with the vise/drift. I wore myself out for about 45 minutes thinking I was going to hurt the birfield by using the pipe, so I was beating the cage with the drift and a small sledge. Never even got the stupid thing to budge. 30 seconds with the pipe and bang! done.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Yeah, don't waste your time with the vise/drift. I wore myself out for about 45 minutes thinking I was going to hurt the birfield by using the pipe, so I was beating the cage with the drift and a small sledge. Never even got the stupid thing to budge. 30 seconds with the pipe and bang! done.

You must learn how to properly apply the pipe to safely and quickly separate the birf from the axle. Dean Baranski recently called me to tell of a birf that just didn't want to separate even after a couple of hours of piping, brass hammering and lots of swearing and sweating. He was using the pipe but, it turned out, he was placing the pipe on the ground and then slamming the birf and axle up and down into the stationary pipe. The first set came apart easily with this method but the second just wasn't budging. When I told him to place the unit in the pipe and then slam the entire mess down on solid ground a light went off in his voice and he hung up the phone to give it a try. Called me back about two minutes later to say a couple of good whacks was all it took to get the parts unparted. You just have to be smarter than the pipe!
Whack on, Ricardo!!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

FWIW, I use copper pipe. Impossible to damage the steel.

Doesn't make a good cheater bar though...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.