Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I use the 1 1/2" PVC, which doubles as an inner axle seal install tool.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Rising Sun member

that's a long tube to use to install an inner axle seal!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Nakman puts his where a Dana has it.

KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Huh? you guys lost me, it's only 12" long...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Rising Sun member

How do you separate your long side axle from the birf then? Are you doing it like the link that Ricardo posted, only with PVC instead of steel pipe? If so then your axle shaft hits the ground long before the plastic does, hence rendering that method worthless with a 12" piece of pipe...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
How do you separate your long side axle from the birf then? Are you doing it like the link that Ricardo posted, only with PVC instead of steel pipe? If so then your axle shaft hits the ground long before the plastic does, hence rendering that method worthless with a 12" piece of pipe...
sorry, didn't read the link (edit: and I can't see birfield.com from work, apparently). At home, I put it in the vice. On the trail, I'd slam it against the edge of the bumper, duct tape a rag or an extra glove over the end of the axle to protect it when it hits the ground.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Rising Sun member

Now I really don't get it. SOP for a lot of people is to take a 1 1/2" sch. 40 pipe, longer than the long side axle, stuff the end with a rag, put a rag over the top edge, slide the axle inside so the birf rests on top of the pipe, lift up the whole thing and slam it down on the ground. The longside pops off pretty quick due to the mass of the axle but the short side sometimes takes some persuading.

What the FSM recommends is clamping the axle in a vice and taking a drift and pounding it against the cage of the birf to pop it off the axle shaft. I found this to be very difficult (impossible for me), less appealing, and in my view, potentially more chance for damage than the pipe method.

I'm having trouble seeing how you are using a 12" piece of PVC and a vice to get 'er done...or slamming against the edge of a bumper...
Old 07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Got it, with a slight variation on the prophecy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
There's a pipe in a hardware store, with Cruiser Karma already imparted to it, just waiting for the guy with the goatee to come walking down the aisle, pick it up, look it over for length, continuity, and sheen, and take it home with him. This piece of pipe was predisposed for this service by the Cruiser gods, and is just waiting, waiting, watching all others pass by, knowing that a special purpose was intended for it. When someone else picks it up thinking they have need of it, they must put it down, never realizing the special need, always thinking there is some other reason why they do not need to remove this piece of hardware from the store today. And still the pipe waits, knowingly.

You have to have faith bro, you have to enter the karma It's out there, it's waiting for you. It knows you're coming
Inspired by the prophecy of finding the special pipe destined to be my personal SST and spurred on by this thread I headed out on the quest. In short order I found myself in the hot yard of Atlas/Alititude Steel not the air conditioned hardware store. For it is here that long ago the one with fondness for Red Chili stated in response to the inquiry "where to get steel U-channel?" that this location "has a good selection at a fair price". Which I understood from my interpretation of the ancient scroll to be - goatee guy get off your duff, the place is 3 blocks from the office and your karma infused pipe is probably sitting in their scrap pile right now.

Sure enough a search of the scrap pile resulted in finding a candidate pipe. The pipe was heavily oxidized hiding its shine and luster. I wondered, could this be it? Is this the pipe the cruiser gods had put in place just for me? If only I could get a sign..

Then it happened, after handling the pipe my hands were covered in orange red dust. Orange red dust. Orange red dust on the hands usually accompanies any working session with old FJ40s and truly was the sign I was looking for to tell me I had found the pipe Subzali indicated was out there waiting for me.

A quick cut of the saw to remove the portion of pipe that was dented, and a $5 donation to the cash box temple and I now have my SST.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Rising Sun member

What is that I doth hear? The rumble of drums and the tinkling of chicken bones?

Excellent, excellent.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

See Ricardo, it was out there. Jack London said "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." Indeed, we all learn daily I guess.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding