Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Oh yea - not too much in the way of pics.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Wincher

Default your tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I made it home....barely. I figured it was better to take my chances in the daylight hours than risk a tranny failure at 9 or 10 pm.

Once I pulled back onto 285, I shifted it into 4th, and stayed that way until I was about 5 miles from home (took the long way - all interstate). As long as I kept it in gear, it mostly kept going. There were some VERY weird noises coming from the tranny box - lots of whining, chirping, and other metallic noises singing from down below. That and the occasional loss of forward power.

I'm thinking a new 4 spd might be in my future.....

Thanks to Crash, Dean and Redfox for accompanying me out!

Matt,

I've got the tranny that came out of my 81 fj40 when the sm420 went in if you need it. The sm420 was swapped in by the PO so I have no idea of it's condition, but I was told that it worked great. PM me if you're interested. I believe it's an H41, not sure if that would work with your setup but I know I don't really have much need for it.

-Justin
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I made it home....barely. I figured it was better to take my chances in the daylight hours than risk a tranny failure at 9 or 10 pm.
So what caused the tranny issues? Suddenly decided to start disintegrating?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhancock View Post
Matt,

I've got the tranny that came out of my 81 fj40 when the sm420 went in if you need it. The sm420 was swapped in by the PO so I have no idea of it's condition, but I was told that it worked great. PM me if you're interested. I believe it's an H41, not sure if that would work with your setup but I know I don't really have much need for it.

-Justin
Problem is that bolts to a split case. Unless you have a split case and deal with the parking brake that won't work.

I didn't look at it but either the clutch isn't working right or maybe the shift fork is worn. Normally h42's are pretty bombproof
TLCA#4180
Old 07-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Glad I was able to hook up with you guys near the end. The new pizza joint, Pier 49, was quite good and the pizzas were much cheaper than last year!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhancock View Post
Matt,

-Justin
Did it have a low 1st gear? I would guess it's an H42 splined to match the split case, like Hulk has. Seems to me that there's a 4 spd tranny or two floating around the club, maybe Nakman and/or Timmbuck2 have one/some?

Matt - Like Zepp said last night (and I agree), if it were his truck he'd pull the tranny hump off (pull the seats, gas tank, etc.) and take the top of the tranny off to look inside and see what's going on. That or swap it with a good 4 spd and THEN pull it apart to look at it

Glad you got home okay!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

I *do* have a 4 speed tranny in my garage.

I also have your handheld Ham radio...guess you guys could not hear me once I went around the corner?? When will you be around?

T
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Rising Sun member

Timm, I'm around this afternoon to pick up my radio and will text you. The rubber ducky doesn't reach all that far, I didn't hear from you again after you left, not sure where you were when you tried to call us, but the geography back there isn't exactly line-of-site, especially once you crest the hill...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Thanks for sharing the pics, guys, did it get harder? I don't remember mandatory wheel stands, or needing straps..

and I've got at least one available 4 speed as well, but I believe they come with the same split case issue (they're from a 60).

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Did it have a low 1st gear? I would guess it's an H42 splined to match the split case, like Hulk has. Seems to me that there's a 4 spd tranny or two floating around the club, maybe Nakman and/or Timmbuck2 have one/some?

Matt - Like Zepp said last night (and I agree), if it were his truck he'd pull the tranny hump off (pull the seats, gas tank, etc.) and take the top of the tranny off to look inside and see what's going on. That or swap it with a good 4 spd and THEN pull it apart to look at it

Glad you got home okay!
I guess it is an H42 then. Either way, if somebody needs one mine is up for grabs as it's just taking up space in my garage!