Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

When you had the 2 extra OME D6XL springs sitting in your hand, did you line them up and see if the pin hole was in the same place? They should have been able to nest together, or at minimum, scoot one end of each spring against a wall and look at them.

I tend to "high grade" everything I buy, before I pays my money and before I leave the store.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
When you had the 2 extra OME D6XL springs sitting in your hand, did you line them up and see if the pin hole was in the same place? They should have been able to nest together, or at minimum, scoot one end of each spring against a wall and look at them.

I tend to "high grade" everything I buy, before I pays my money and before I leave the store.
No, didn't do that. I cut the packaging back a little looking to see if OME included new center pins, but I didn't take the time to cut off all the tape and cardboard.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 07-11-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Yeah, I guess. Did another long day, then running all the way up to Golden to pick them up, paying a boat load of money and sweating my tail off in a cramped garage all evening, it's just really irritating. It's like no one gives a crap about doing something right anymore. Slap it together and get it out. Even guys you wouldn't expect that from.

Another stumbling block I just figured out is the bushings OME sells don't work with the shackles I have. Toyota uses an 18mm frame bolt and 14mm spring bolt (the sleeved ones). The bushings I have from my NWOR springs used those sizes, but these OME springs require 18mm bolts top and bottom on the shackles. So I have to figure out what to do there. For some reason OME does not sell shackles for my truck and they expect you to re-use the old shackles, but they won't work. Weird.

It's like I'm working a on 1970s Ford here, nothing matches what it's supposed to. I really want a new Tacoma right now, I just want to go camping.
I'm thinking medication may be in order.
Or more beer.

Or less beer...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

But seriously, that would be the shortcoming of the less expensive OMEs I should think. You cannot expect Alcan quality for a fraction of Alcan price. They will require some mods.

And as you said, the NWOR springs were all lined up. But they broke. I doubt the OMEs will break. If I have to choose...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I think you can expect the OME springs to line up correctly. I'd call Ben, or call ARB and ask them. Who replaced Chris Wood?
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
But seriously, that would be the shortcoming of the less expensive OMEs I should think. You cannot expect Alcan quality for a fraction of Alcan price. They will require some mods.

And as you said, the NWOR springs were all lined up. But they broke. I doubt the OMEs will break. If I have to choose...
OME springs aren't exactly cheap price-wise. I'd have liked to go with Alcan but my truck is pretty stripped down and so any time spent on the scales is going to be meaningless.

BTW, I think I've figured out the shackle issue. Marlin's shackles use 18mm bolts top and bottom. I guess most people just leave the sleeve out and use an 18mm bolt in the spring side of the shackle. Makes sense. In the fixed side I think most people leave the 14mm factory bolt in place and use the sleeve. All that is consistent with the bushing OME included. This seems like a model year and/or running production variance. OME can't match down to month/year production and so Ben (and other good OME/ARB dealers) have figured out what sleeve here or different bushing there to use. Like I say, with new shackles I think the kit as packaged will work fine.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 07-11-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Oh, that reminds me. My shackles have the bent side plates, like the shackles on the front springs of live axle trucks, just less extreme. Marlin's shackles don't have bent side plates, but use 3/8" thick spacers on each side of the bushing. Is this alright? My initial thought was that was fine, but just throwing it out there, wondering.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Oh, that reminds me. My shackles have the bent side plates, like the shackles on the front springs of live axle trucks, just less extreme. Marlin's shackles don't have bent side plates, but use 3/8" thick spacers on each side of the bushing. Is this alright? My initial thought was that was fine, but just throwing it out there, wondering.
Don't see why it would make a difference. It should be stronger, right?

Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Don't see why it would make a difference. It should be stronger, right?
Yeah, not sure if it makes any difference. Seems that as long as the side spacers are the same diameter as the shouldered part of the bushing, then there would be minimal difference in the real world. Should be cheaper to make, that's for sure.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Update. The boys at Slee already had it under control.

I hadn't realized it was so late in the morning already, but Christo must have seen the post and Ben called me. ARB is shipping two more D6XL leafs out to lay out against the ones I have. I need to order shackles anyway, so shouldn't be a much of a delay. So I will be sending two of them back and keeping the two that are right. Probably jumped on the punch when they were putting the hole in, who knows.

The question still remains, though. Say Christo and Ben and ARB weren't helpful and you came across this situation, think having the leaf offset like that would matter? Is it really just cosmetic or do the leaf ends need to line up to avoid stressing the pack? The springs have a lot of stress at the ends, right? The way that the tail of the D6XL lines up right under the wrap of the shackle end of the spring, issue or no?