Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have so many things that could pay for themselves, I should be living on the residuals and put the difference in my IRA...

I do know that keeping my throttle at 1/8, coasting wherever possible, and keeping my speed down has certainly paid for itself. Helped with that accepting, inner peace thing too.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I have so many things that could pay for themselves, I should be living on the residuals and put the difference in my IRA...

I do know that keeping my throttle at 1/8, coasting wherever possible, and keeping my speed down has certainly paid for itself. Helped with that accepting, inner peace thing too.
Keeping an 80 at 1/8 throttle would just burn gas -- you'd be going basically nowhere!

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

The joys of 3.4 litres and 5.29s on 35s... towing, now that requires a bit more throttle.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Jeff, I still have your Scan Gauge II. I'll bring it to the RS meeting next week, unless you want it earlier.
I'll probably swing by and grab it and the net one night this week. I'm going through SG withdrawls . Plus, we are heading to Grand Lake Saturday morning so it would be nice to have it for the trip and get Hants his data
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well, I just spent a few days in Keystone with a side trip to Vail, what a great difference up towards Eisenhower, I was often passing instead of puttering in the right hand lane, was always able to easily cruise at the speed limit. Coming up west Vail Pass is still slow, and west to Eisenhower is still slow, but much better.

Fuel economy? Well, I averaged it out over 2 tanks and got 14 mpg on 1/3 city 2/3 highway. This with family of six onboard with gear. 5.29's and 35" Intercos.

I don't think my fuel economy is much improved since I've been getting these results with 5.29's anyway, but no question how much better it is breathing on the high passes. My wife even noticed as a passenger.

I'd say for the high passes that the MAF mod has done as much as the 5.29's, or perhaps best to say they complement each other very well.

It doesn't need to pay for itself. I'll spring
Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Based on my recent testing, you'll probably see a boost in MPG by keeping the RPM below 3550 on the passes.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
Based on my recent testing, you'll probably see a boost in MPG by keeping the RPM below 3550 on the passes.

Yep, it's feeling pretty ideal for what this rig is. I don't hit those kind of RPM's up the passes because my gearing in 3rd is lower and in 2nd is quite a bit higher, but I'm easily in stock range for fuel economy on a hardly stock rig. No way I'm touching 17 mpg, but 15 highway when I keep it at 65-68 mpg is right on.

Problem is all this good stuff keeps tempting me to go 37's
Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
I'd be curious to know the following:

1. Set your SG to monitor LOD, RPM, OPEN/CLOSED, TPS
2. Monitor OPEN/CLOSED LOOP as you're driving
3. At what RPM/LOAD/TPS combinations does it switch to OPEN loop?
4. When do you hit those combinations?

I used to hit Open Loop merging onto the freeway and going up even moderate grades. Now, I only hit Open Loop going up steep grades at high altitude (and then, only when I force 2nd and keep the RPM too high).

Hants, I have some data for you

I set my Scangauge II up as requested above and noted the following during a recent trip to Grand Lake (up and back and then up and back again )

Some baseline numbers first:

Idle at a stop light, AC off: LOD = 19 to 21 | TPS = 8 | RPM 610 to 625
Idle at a stop light, AC on: LOD = 25 | TPS = 8 | RPM 700ish
Off throttle (coasting) to a stoplight, AC off: LOD drops to 10 then gradually climbs back up to ~20 when stopped.

Now, here are some readings when my rig went into OPEN loop:

LOD - RPM - TPS
58 - 2500 - 38
61 - 4300 - 66
63 - 3400 - 58
60 - 4200 - 60

Some general observations on when the rig would go into OPEN loop:
  • Anytime you lift off the throttle and coast
  • Pretty much anytime RPMs > 3750 (maybe even a little lower)
  • Pretty much anytime the TPS > 60
Obviously when TPS > 60 and RPMs > 3750 the LX would most certainly be in OPEN loop. It appears max TPS (for me at least) is 75 based on testing which would be WOT. So at 60 TPS that is 80% WOT.

As for when the above scenarios fit. The first one (58/2500/38) was pulling away from a stop light in town, going up a slight hill, before the trips. The other occurrences were all while going up Berthoud pass mainly although anytime I hit TPS > 60 and/or RPMs > 3750 the LX would be in OPEN loop which was pretty much anytime I was trying to climb a hill

It will be interesting to try this test again after I install the MAF housing and new MAF and see what changes.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I realize now that I'll probably never see the big benefit to this mod. I never exceed 4000 rpm's, and rarely go above 3500, would only do that going up I-70 towards the tunnel or something. So I probably never get into open loop?

I've always had this theory that the my big ol' 1FZ-Fe will last longer if I didn't push it so hard, and 5 minutes more drive time is nothing plus I'll use less gas and oil.. but maybe I'm just a pansy.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Great data, Jeff!

My Idle load is 13-15 (from memory). The lowest I've seen is 3, when coasting down a steep hill.

The OPEN on no throttle is related to the fuel cutoff. Mine isn't 100% consistent (most times goes to OPEN when I let off the throttle at highway speeds, but not always, sometimes goes to OPEN when I let off the throttle in the city).

My mas TPS is 76, IIRC. There's a separate switch for WOT. On my rig, it triggers just before I hit the floor.

I think there's a correlation between LOD and RPM to go into OPEN loop. On mine, if load is >60 (maybe a bit more), I go into OPEN as soon as my RPM goes over 3550. If load is <60, I have been able to get as high as 3900 RPM in CLOSED loop (maybe even higher -- I haven't really pressed this limit).

The only time I see OPEN loop these days is going over passes. And that's controllable by shifting into 2nd and driving at 50MPH (instead of the 60 to 65 I used to push). On my rig, 50 is right at 3500 RPM. This sometimes means running 1/2 throttle in 2nd (not enough power to hold 3rd).

We just returned from a trip to Breckenridge. We normally travel the back roads (Hoosier pass down to the 24 to Colorado Springs. In this case we took a "slight" detour to Crested Butte over Cottonwood pass. Drove from Breck down to Buena Vista, across Cottonwood Pass, over county roads (mostly unpaved) to just South of Crested Butte, then into Crested Butte and drove around some neighborhoods up by the lifts, then retraced our route across Cottonwood pass, and back home. Had a large pod (hangs off the back, and covers most of the sunroof, width is just narrower than the rails) on the roof, and a full load. I got 15 MPG on the whole trip. I'm amazed at the MPG I get now that I'm more careful with the throttle.

I'm surprised by that first OPEN transition on yours. I haven't seen anything like that since I've been monitoring.

I suspect that you'll see lower LOD values across the board once you install the MAF. I don't recall if the SG actually reads the MAF on our rigs. I have a different ODBII reader that does. The max MAF I could get stock was just under 17 lbs/min of air. With the new MAF goes over 19.

I'll be curious if your LOD>60+RPM>3750==>OPEN pattern continues. I wonder why the difference?