Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default ARB Air Line Quick Fitting

Cheeseman got a nicked air line out in California and I happened to have one of these fancy in-line splices. Took him just a minute to get fixed up. I got that one through Wabfab for $20. That seemed steep at the time and it is, but it worked and so I didn't shop around back when I was scrambling to finish Rubithon packing.

But ARB does make a cheaper alternative. ARB P/N 170206 is just the quick splice, usually about $10~$12 or ARB P/N ASK001 is a splice, a ferrule and 6' of hose. That's usually about $25~$30.

Still looking for a cheaper version of the ARB part, since ARB often just repackages other stuff. Like their switches are just Carling and you can often find them sans the ARB labels for quite a bit less. But in my experience, $10 probably isn't gonna be a ton more (probably about twice) than the similar product from Parker, Camozzi, Festo, SMC or whoever. The main problem is that ARB I think uses 5mm tubing and that's sort of an odd size. Wondering if 3/16" fittings would work.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 07-11-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Lifted

I was wondering where you got those Dave. When you loaned that one to Cheeseman, his rig was fixed in about 30 seconds! It would be great to have a couple of those as spares for just such a situation. If you are going to be ordering any, I would be interested in going in with you.

PS
Sorry about the trouble with your springs.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just as clarification, I bought mine for $20 through Wabfab, who just had them drop shipped from Trail Gear. Trail Gear sells them for $19 directly, so obviously he's probably letting Wabfab have them for something significantly cheaper than $20.

ARB sells a version for ~$11, that is the better way to go IMHO. Any Air Locker dealer should have those I'd guess. I keep forgetting to ask Ben when I talk to him.

But I occasionally flip through the pneumatic catalogs and see what I can find. ARB's 5mm is not a common size, although someone makes it. If a 3/16" fitting will work, those are dirt cheap (like $3).

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Those splices work great.

I damaged a line shortly after I installed my ARBs and picked up the splice kit from High Country 4x4 in Englewood (not cheap but convenient at that moment). I always carry a splice or two and section of line.

Yes other types of 5mm splices (and fittings) are hard to find locally. I tried to use alternatives but in the end nothing worked except the ARB part.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Part number 51615K102 from mcmaster or 5449K192 if you want plastic.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

FWIW, McMaster 51615K102 is $6.87, nickel-plated brass. That's the way to go.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
ARB's 5mm is not a common size, although someone makes it. If a 3/16" fitting will work, those are dirt cheap (like $3).
They will. Used them. Not as convenient as the ARB fix though. The ARB is instant, and very easy to carry. Easy to separate too, if needed, and just as quickly. AFAIK, ARB simply calls theirs 5mm because metric is the local standard. Or so I have been told. Very close if not identical dimensionally.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.