Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Exclamation Sections to focus on for the first class

Here are the sections(In order) that we will be covering during the first and second class.

The class is normally set up to run from 10-14 hours total. We will be doing the classes in 6 hours(3, 2-hour sessions). The material does not require as much time is allocated, especially if we can have all the folks attending read material ahead first. This is why Brian Has been putting up notes, and while I will give out the sections to read over and review way ahead of time.

Being able to do this will take participation and effort from everyone. Please read the section before the class. Many questions that are asked during the class would normally be clear if preperatory reading was done ahead of time. This is not to in any way indicate that any question asked will be ignored.

So here we go.

For the first class we will cover(Sections are from the ARRL Licensing manual):Equipment definitions and electricity--sections 2.1 and 2.2
Components and units--section 2.3
Signals and waves--section 2.4
Antennas and feedlines--sections 2.5 and 3.2
Propogation--section 2.6
Transmitters and receivers--sections 3.1 and 3.5
Station fundamentals--sections 3.1, 3.3 and 3.4
RF interference--section 3.5

For the second class we will cover:
Contact basics, Band plans, making a contact--sections 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3
Nets and emergency operating--sections 4.4 and 4.5
special modes and techniques--section 4.6
Licensing terms, working with the FCC, Bands and Privelages, Rules, Call signs International --Section 5(the whole thing)
Control operators, identification, interference, third paty communications, auto and remote operations, and prohibited transmissions--section 6(the whole thing)
Electrical safety, RF exposure, mechanical--section 7(the whole thing)

While this list seems overwhelming, we are purposefully pushing to maximize what we cover the first two classes in order to be able to give the exam on the third class date. The third class will be review and then the exam if we can swing it.

Please ask questions!!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
Cut, Paste, Slash, Burn, Print or Whatever and bring them to class !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Brian for posting the notes up!!

If anyone is interested, I cut & pasted the notes into a Word doc. I added a little bit of formatting to help me section out the sections...Feel free to modify as you please for you reading style - 22 pages and don't forget to bring them to class

EDIT: Added the new notes from later posts and attached the updated .doc

Attached Files
File Type: doc HAM Notes for Rising Sun Class.doc (98.5 KB, 453 views)
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 02-15-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Updated the notes
Old 02-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default More notes that might be necessary...

Information regarding Call Signs--
Every licensed Radio Amateur is given a call sign that is used to identify you and your location of license. Each country that has Amateur Radio status is allocated a range of call signs by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU).

Prefix and Suffix--
Call signs consist of a prefix and a suffix. The prefix is usually composed of one or two letters and a number such as VE4 in Canada for the province of Manitoba or K9 in the U.S. for the states Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin. Some countries have prefixes that are composed of a number and a letter such as 4X for Israel or 9K for Kuwait. If this sounds confusing, for the first timer it is. After doing it a while, they rattle off like Dr. Seuss.

While the prefix uniquely identifies a country the suffix is unique for the individual. In Canada a call sign such as VE3ABC has VE3 (Ontario) as the prefix and ABC as the suffix. In the U.S the call sign N2MG has a prefix of N2 and suffix of MG. U.S. hams may also have a two letter prefix thus AB2Z is a valid call. Suffixes may also be less than three letters so you have call signs such as VE7AB in British Columbia and KH6Y in Hawaii.

Call Areas--
In North America the number in the call sign generally refers to an area of the country. The 3 in VE3 refers to Ontario and the 6 in K6 refers to California. The number may be shared between states in the U.S. so that 1 as in K1 or W1 can refer to the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. Usually in Canada the number refers to a single province although VE1 can refer to the Maritime provinces New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.
Other countries follow a similar practice so you can have states in Brazil and Prefectures in Japan.

U.S. Prefixes--
Prefixes used by Amateurs in the United States are shown in the following table. U.S. Radio Amateurs may have either a single letter or two letters in the prefix. See the two letter allocations at the bottom of the table. The single letter prefixes K, and N are also in use by U.S. Amateurs. To further complicate matters Amateurs that have moved to a different area of the country may retain their existing call sign so when you hear W8ABC you may be receiving a signal from other than the W8 states.

Call Sign Prefix--State
W0-- Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
W1-- Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
W2-- New Jersey, New York
W3-- Delaware, D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania
W4-- Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia
W5-- Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
W6-- California
W7-- Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Wyoming
W8-- Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia
W9-- Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin
AL0-7, KL0-7, NL0-7, WL0-7-- Alaska
AH6-7, KH6-7, NH6-7, WH6-7-- Hawaii

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional U.S. prefixes

A, AA - AK K, KA - KK
KM - KW
KX - KZ
N, NA - NK
NM - NW
NX - NZ
WA - WK
WM - WO
WQ - WW
WX - WZ
Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I made this thread a sticky. If you can memorize all the notes Brian posted and know Ohms law
Specifically:
V = I x R (Voltage = Current multiplied by Resistance)

R = V / I (Resistance = Voltage divided by Current)

I = V / R (Current = Voltage Divided by Resistance)

you will pass the technicians. You don't necessarily need the book but it can help and probably recommended as a reference and further explanation of concepts.

Read the notes, take some practice technician exams at qrz.com

Find a place to take the test at aarl.org
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 12-20-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Practice Test

Since the list of question is public information, you can just memorize the questions. I've put my own no frills practice exam together here (about a year ago); I hope it can help you out. Ideally, it asks you each question just once and you answer correctly. But if you answer it incorrectly once, you must answer it twice correctly to show it that you have learned from your mistake. Of course, it picks them at random...

http://lukesankey.com/HamExam/

It worked for me! I took both Technician and General tests at the same time for the same fee. Basically, the General test allows you to also transmit on the lower frequencies (useful for longer distances). I never have even opened the actual book, which I do feel a little guilty about.

Cheers,
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Rising Sun Commander

thanks, Sank.. the xyl has been using that to study, we'll find out how well it works in a couple days!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

This study guide is no longer valid as the Tech question pool has changed. I'll leave it posted and edit as needed when I get my hands on the new test matrix.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Rock Stacker

Good Catch, SS.

I just uploaded the new questions for the tech exam.

Enjoy,

http://lukesankey.com/HamExam/

Last edited by sank; 11-25-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added link again