Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Great trip! Thanks Nathaniel for organizing and leading that huge group!

I heard that the rest of you were cooking in 100 degree temps in the city while we enjoyed cool temps and beautiful scenery on the GTR.

Wes, Ige, Matt (Subzali) and myself did a quick tour of the area on Friday before the official run on Saturday/Sunday. We ran over Hancock Pass, through Pitkin, Up Waunita Pass, over Black Sage Pass, then over Tomichi Pass where we camped out. A few pics of Day one:

Matt, Wes and Ige heading up Hancock the first time (we ran it 3 times this weekend!)

I brought the lowrider FJ60 on this run

A little rain to keep the dust down in the valley near Waunita Hot Springs and Black Sage Pass.

Wes was the first to open Tomichi Pass for the season. We had to shovel this drift and few others to get my lard butt open 60 through.

Matt and Ige getting near the top of Tomichi

This is part of the shelf road coming down Tomichi. We had to do some snow drift shoveling and leveling of the road. We earned our beers that night.

Matt shoveling and Ige Saluting

Ige's 80 past the last drift.

Setting up camp the first night. I was able to use my new RTT again.

Day 2. The views from the top of Hancock Pass are awesome!

Some mining ruins

The crazy shelf road going up to the Alpine tunnel

Day 3. Cruisin' home

Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Wincher

Default Many thanks to all...

...I really appreciate the nomination and vote to join this crew. I had a wonderful time on GTR 08, and enjoyed getting to drive the great RedChili a bit on Sunday. Too bad it was at the expense of Bill's health, and I'm sad that he fell so ill, so quickly. Get well soon mate!

CHEERS!!! to Nathaniel for organizing and leading such a wonderful event. I don't think it has been mentioned, but he went way and above merely leading a run, as he had prepared and handed out copies of a very insightful and knowledgeable write up of the area, repleat with history of the roads, mines, ghost towns and old rail line lore of the run. EXCELLENT JOB Nathaniel.

As a newly licensed HAM, thanks to the RS "wives class" this past winter, and having been in the RedChili for two days with both a truck mtd CB and a fine HAM 2M rig mounted, I would HIGHLY recommend that if you haven't already done so, invest the very small amount of time needed to study for, and pass the FCC examination to get an Amateur License. It was a night and day difference in comm. quality, clarity and range.

While the CB chatter was enjoyable banter, they were pressed to be clearly heard from the front to the rear of a 22 truck convoy. Meanwhile the HAM's were connecting up at times between SouthPark, CO and the group in basecamp near Pitkin via the Leadville repeater.

We very easily reached the group that was descending Hancock Pass from West to East as we were arriving in Buena Vista. This was great for synchronizing a meet of the two groups at St. Elmo.

Saturday evenings pot luck dinner was a site to behold with all of the grills and dutch ovens that made an appearance. The cobblers (three different flavors!) were a wonderful end to a very good meal and excellent company.

Many thanks again to all, Rising Sun, and the members and guests that made this run such a wonderful time.

Cheers!

Call Sign: KD0DHK COHVCO: #4409 AMA #222838

1997 White Toyota Tacoma (aka TruckWagon)
2007 Blue Suzuki DR 650 (aka TigerCub)
2002 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2003 Silver Triumph Tiger 955 (RIP)

Last edited by Tramontana; 07-22-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

X2 on the HAM. I only had a CB and missed out on 99% of the communication. Matt let me borrow his hand-held HAM for awhile (to listen) and I was impressed with the clarity of the communication. I'll definitely be studying for my license soon.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Rising Sun member

The FJ40 was 98310, so according to SOR's frame numbering chart it's a 2/71. I'll post up some pics later. I think a rescue is in order
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
The FJ40 was 98310, so according to SOR's frame numbering chart it's a 2/71. I'll post up some pics later. I think a rescue is in order
Matt's referring to this:

We spotted it from up on the Tomichi shelf road and he scrambled down to inspect the wreckage. Can't wait to see the close-up shots.

Anyone know the history?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Anyone know the history?
searched this morning, but can't find anything online for it.
ige tlca #1431
Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

So did the group go over Tincup? Just wondering if its passable yet.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
searched this morning, but can't find anything online for it.
It is in the pass patrol books. Same pic and the story. That has been there for some time. I'll see if I can find the older pass patrol books.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 07-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
So did the group go over Tincup? Just wondering if its passable yet.
nope and nope.
ige tlca #1431
Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Rising Sun member

Treeroot, Wes and I went up to the pass, but there is about 60-80 yards of snow still blocking the trail. Might be passable next weekend. Maybe.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD