Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
sure.. just takes a little more pop at 400+ psi.
Gotcha, so a tug start from the mighty Hilux you're surely traveling with. :-) The lightweight Hilux is the safe backup, they can be pulled uphill with a totally electronics-free all terrain donkey for a pop start.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

NAPA lifetime is a fine alternator. I coulda directed you to a site explaining how to rebuild it yourself for a whole lot less, but it would have been a whole lot more trouble.

There is quite a bit of variance in the difficulty in swapping 22RE alternators. Depends on the radiator hose routing.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

True on the variation. The FSM tells the mechanic to remove the radiator half of the lower coolant hose. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Rising Sun member

I've push-started Wes' diesel before...

I can ALMOST remove it from below but the motor mounts and suspension stuff gets in the way. It sits below the dizzy and p/s pump in either case...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I HATE replacing alternators on 22REs. They are in a super-impossible place to get at (okay, not as bad a a chevy V6). And they are right under the P/S pump, which, if leaking, makes the alternators go out quick. Don't ask me how I know :-)

I can replace the alternator in any of my 40 series in under a half hour. Never tried it in a 60, but from the work I've done on 60s I'd guess double that. On my daughter's 85 runner it was about an hour. That's after you already figured out all the stuff you needed to get out of the way, and what you didn't.

I have had good luck with NAPA alternators for my Land Cruisers with F series engines, and also good luck with OEM. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that NAPA reman are built with OEM Nippon Denso cores.I have had VERY poor expereinces with both Autozone and with Checker alternators. Just my personal experience, YMMV.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/