Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 80 series simple Brake Mod

I am probably behind the power curve here, but I just did the 5 minute modification to adjust the LSPV valve that adjusts the brake pressure between the front and rear brakes. When you lift the truck you throw it off kilter and basically are only using the front brakes. I lowered mine 1/4 of an inch and can now feel better braking performance. I had gone 50K miles and not even wore the rear pads.

It's so simple. Mark the LSPV and the frame. Place a mark about 1/4" below the mark, loosen the two bolts and lower it to the mark and tighten the bolts. That's it. You 4" lift guys may need to go a little bit more.

writeup and picture courtesy of this thread . This picture is with the rear drivers tire off. I marked the other side and did it with the tire on.

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Your brakes perform better now? Hmmm. I need to look into this.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

There is a thread on mud where you calculate how much you need exactly. I did the .25" to see if I could tell the difference and thats for a med lift which I am higher.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

here is how you calculate

For a 4" lift

64/16

1/16 of 64/16=.25" for your 4" lift

I was a bit under .25" and mine calculates to .19" so I figure I am good
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I assumed everyone marked their LSPV before they lifted their trucks then adjusted after the lift was installed. Mine was a PITA as while all the other bolts came off easy the LSPV bolts were rusted solid. Took me a bit of patience to get them loose and get the unit adjusted.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

You are behind the curve Romer

But, since Slee installed my lift at the same time they cut my rear cross member and installed the hitch dealyo in my bumper I guess I should verify they did this. I know I mentioned it but I never did look....
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I assumed everyone marked their LSPV before they lifted their trucks then adjusted after the lift was installed.
Ah, well, you know what they say about assumptions.

I'm more of a hack mechanic. The only way I find out about anything is through Romer, Corsair and Hants.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

I did this less analytically. For mini trucks, there is a LSPV bracket that outfitters sell or give you with lift kits. Mine came from NWOR, but Roger Brown, Downey and maybe others have them. Or you can make one yourself with a piece of stock and a drill. It raises the mount on the axle to match the amount of lift. I had to adjust mine slightly more, even with the WilderNest my back brakes weren't doing much work until I really piled in the cargo. I messed with it one time camping by driving down a nice dirt road and slamming on the brakes, then adjusting the LSPV just above the point where the back brakes would lock in a panic stop. It's pretty easy to tell if you have the adjustment wrong. If you see the headlights of the people behind you coming down Georgetown hill after a day at Loveland, you have too much rear bias. :-)

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I assumed everyone marked their LSPV before they lifted their trucks then adjusted after the lift was installed. Mine was a PITA as while all the other bolts came off easy the LSPV bolts were rusted solid. Took me a bit of patience to get them loose and get the unit adjusted.

When I originally lifted my truck 4 years ago I didn't even know what it was.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I did this less analytically. For mini trucks, there is a LSPV bracket that outfitters sell or give you with lift kits. Mine came from NWOR, but Roger Brown, Downey and maybe others have them. Or you can make one yourself with a piece of stock and a drill. It raises the mount on the axle to match the amount of lift. I had to adjust mine slightly more, even with the WilderNest my back brakes weren't doing much work until I really piled in the cargo. I messed with it one time camping by driving down a nice dirt road and slamming on the brakes, then adjusting the LSPV just above the point where the back brakes would lock in a panic stop. It's pretty easy to tell if you have the adjustment wrong. If you see the headlights of the people behind you coming down Georgetown hill after a day at Loveland, you have too much rear bias. :-)

If one raises the arm at the diff on an 80, it will interefere with the UCA.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies