Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
Sounds like a couple recommendations for plywood over steel for the interior rear panels. Plywood would definitely be cheaper, easier to work with, easier to procure, and potentially sound better, but I'm still concerned about weather resistance and mounting. I'll be herculining (or similar) whatever we use, so the outside will be ok, but do you paint or herculine the backside as well? Also, how thick do you use? Seems like using thick enough for strength would end up causing fitment issues inside, ie; interference with seats folding down, etc. I would guess 3/8" or 1/2" would be needed, but that seems awful thick to be installing down the sides.
I used 3/8" and covered it with Home Depot gray indoor/outdoor carpet, also wrapped around the edges so it was pinched by the install. No squeaks, no rattles. I also used stainless oval-head phillips screws with oval-head washers, and nylocks inside. Stays put, looks nice. Also cut in some access doors for side panel storage, and used some slick flush pushbutton cabinet latches my wife recommended (she is a woodworker). I will show them to you sometime.

I did not herc the inside, but I generally protect the rear with a softtop anyway. Hercing both sides would certainly seal it. Use outdoor rated plywood.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think I used 3/8ths marine plywood on mine. I had to route our around the bolt heads for the seat latches. I used oval head screws and those funny washers under the heads to spread the load a bit. The red tablecloth is attached with 3m spray adhesive and wrapped around the backside to get pinched like chili's I guess. I cut the access holes a size that lets me use the stock rear access panel covers. I remember spending some time on the rear deck lamp too.