Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default 4 speed swap question

I'm accumulating the parts I need for the 4 speed swap and OEM PTO install in my 40. I was wondering what I should do about the driveshafts. Since the 4 speed transfercase will have different flanges than the 3 speed, I'll have to modify the driveshafts (flanges and length) correct? I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to just replace the axles with later model (fine spline disk brake) units rather than spending a wad of cash to have new driveshafts rebuilt.

Any opinions? And anyone have some spare 4 speed driveshafts?

'85 FJ60
Old 08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Rising Sun member

I think I have a spare early flange you can have. They're smaller so you can get more droop from your axle anyway

If your u-joints are in good shape, it's only a little over $100 to re-tube a driveshaft. Contrast that with what Ricardo's gone through with his front axle conversion.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
If your u-joints are in good shape, it's only a little over $100 to re-tube a driveshaft. Contrast that with what Ricardo's gone through with his front axle conversion.
Word Subzali!

That said, Martin if you can get your hands on 40 axles that are ready to go and good to bolt up for a cost your are comfortable with relative to the cost of the new driveshafts, then I would say consider going for the swap.

Otherwise, take the following under consideration in your decison process...

Let's say you decide to swap axles and the axles are of unknown pedigree/history. In this case you will likely want to do a full front end service - if not right away certainly soon after you bolt it up. It is at this point where the $$$ can quickly add up. Front axle seals, gaskets, trunion bearings, shims, i.e. the front axle service consumables will be about $100 to start. You will also have your rig down for the duration of the service, it is at least on long full day - could be a month if you're slow like me.

Likely before you start the service, you'll begin to think about taking care of a few things "while your in there". Break out the 10 key and start adding up the $$$
new/rebuilt calipers
new/turned rotors
new brake lines
new wheel bearings
new claw washers
new nuts
new knuckle studs
new o-ring for your hubs
adjustable proportioning valve
Are the things I recall just on the front end. I've not serviced a rear axle, but am sure it has it's own list of stuff.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Rising Sun member

I don't think Martin would want/need to replace his rear axle...but I was about that comment as well but think it just means front axle shafts/birfs.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

If I were to have new driveshafts built, including Toyota U joints, it would likely be pushing $400-$500. If I found a good set of 4 speed driveshafts, and a set of later complete axles (like the ones that Boulder76 is selling for $400) I would be spending about the same (not including the repairs Ricardo mentioned) and gaining disk brakes. Just thought it might be worth considering.

I guess if I could find some 4 speed driveshafts to cannibalize, that would be the easiest method.

'85 FJ60
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I simply had my old 3-speed drive shafts re-tubed. Englewood Driveshaft. The difference is about 3.5 inches. I had one worn u-joint (that needed replacing anyway) replaced while they were at it. Of course I re-used my 3-speed transfer case for the lower ratio. You hadn't mentioned if you already have the PTO box for the 4 speed t-case.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

Martin - we've got a couple of extra driveshafts you can look at to see if they would work....

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 08-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
I simply had my old 3-speed drive shafts re-tubed. Englewood Driveshaft. The difference is about 3.5 inches. I had one worn u-joint (that needed replacing anyway) replaced while they were at it. Of course I re-used my 3-speed transfer case for the lower ratio. You hadn't mentioned if you already have the PTO box for the 4 speed t-case.
I am going to use a 4 speed transfer case rather than modifying my 3 speed case. I also have the proper 4 speed PTO gear to use with my PTO setup. I think the only modification is that the drive shaft for the pto will need to be lengthened (?).

'85 FJ60
Old 08-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74fj40 View Post
Martin - we've got a couple of extra driveshafts you can look at to see if they would work....

Awesome! PM'd you.

'85 FJ60