Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Wincher

Damn Jeff, you are bound and determined to give me more work to do aren't ya?

I really like the Samco hoses and plan to replace my Passat hoses with them when they wear out, but they just keep going and going.

I'd like to get the PHH done with the started this week, so I ordered one and we'll see if I can get it done by Sunday, when a buddy with a bitchin Scrambler (*yep a Jeep*) and I are going up to Chinns Lake with the kiddos to play.

Sounds like I need to pick which vehicle I want to take: the 60 (and get the carb rebuilt) or the 80 ( and rebuild the starter and replace the PHH). Wish the Passat was lifted, but it's lowered...heheh.

Thanks once more for all of the helpful info!
Winston
Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

As Bill mentioned, there's a high likelihood it's simply worn contacts. I had that problem with the starter in the 1HZ in my HZJ75. Replacing them was super-easy, R&Ring the starter itself was more work than replacing the contacts. The contacts themselves were free - Deon (no longer there) at Mountain States Toyota just gave me a pair of every Toyota starter solenoid contact he had. I found a pair that were close, a little grinding with the Dremmel and presto-voila they fit perfect.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

I also recommend the PHH kit. I got great service from the owner too.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
As Bill mentioned, there's a high likelihood it's simply worn contacts. I had that problem with the starter in the 1HZ in my HZJ75. Replacing them was super-easy, R&Ring the starter itself was more work than replacing the contacts. The contacts themselves were free - Deon (no longer there) at Mountain States Toyota just gave me a pair of every Toyota starter solenoid contact he had. I found a pair that were close, a little grinding with the Dremmel and presto-voila they fit perfect.
Thanks Jeff, I'll pick up a set of those from Burt Toyota tomorrow too. Even if they are okay this time around, I'm sure I'll need to replace them eventually anyway.

I'm in the middle of checking on the starter part # now. It's great getting to know a new (to me) vehicle. I like it already.

Thanks,
Winston
Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Wincher

Interesting, the guy at Burt (didn't see his name) said that he sees it is the contacts also 10/10 times. He only had one of the two in so he expects them in Friday. Apparently they don't sell solenoids separately. I thought that sounded strange.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLC View Post
Interesting, the guy at Burt (didn't see his name) said that he sees it is the contacts also 10/10 times. He only had one of the two in so he expects them in Friday. Apparently they don't sell solenoids separately. I thought that sounded strange.
Typically, the metal transfers from one contact due to DC current, making it thinner and pitted. While replacing them both "while you're in there" is a great idea, the one worn contact makes the disk which connects the two get at too much of an angle on the center shaft of the solenoid to make a good contact. Once you get it apart you'll easily see what I'm trying to put into words.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 08-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

The solenoid is integral to the starter. Really, though, like Jeff says, once you have it apart it will all make sense. However, everything IN the solenoid is available, meaning the contacts and the plunger. So why change the solenoid, even if you could?

Be observant of how things came apart, and reassemble identically. You probably knew that, but it is easy to discover a rubber o-ring on your bench right after you get it all back together. DAMHIK.

FWIW, I have never had to replace the plunger. They were certainly pitted, but they wear evenly because they rotate, I guess. I have dressed them lightly with a file on occasion.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Typically, the metal transfers from one contact due to DC current, making it thinner and pitted. While replacing them both "while you're in there" is a great idea, the one worn contact makes the disk which connects the two get at too much of an angle on the center shaft of the solenoid to make a good contact. Once you get it apart you'll easily see what I'm trying to put into words.
That's probably true. I'll replace both of them though and keep one as a spare. From what I saw of the starter diagram at Burt it looks like they are different and not interchangable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
The solenoid is integral to the starter. Really, though, like Jeff says, once you have it apart it will all make sense. However, everything IN the solenoid is available, meaning the contacts and the plunger. So why change the solenoid, even if you could?

Be observant of how things came apart, and reassemble identically. You probably knew that, but it is easy to discover a rubber o-ring on your bench right after you get it all back together. DAMHIK.

FWIW, I have never had to replace the plunger. They were certainly pitted, but they wear evenly because they rotate, I guess. I have dressed them lightly with a file on occasion.
Okay I guess I misunderstood the part and how it is integrated with the starter. I haven't taken it out yet, but I'm sure that will be obvious to me once I do.

I am not quite, but almost a freak about parts and keeping them organized during a project like this. If only I could keep my workbench as organized!

I'll pay close attention to the plunger.

Thanks!
Winston
Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLC View Post
That's probably true. I'll replace both of them though and keep one as a spare. From what I saw of the starter diagram at Burt it looks like they are different and not interchangable.

Winston,

If you look at and print out the link I posted above you'll see pictures of everything AND the pages out of the FSM that apply to what you'll be doing. The contacts ARE different so just pay attention to which one goes on which side. Just pay attention as you are taking stuff off what goes where and you'll be fine

FWIW I replaced the plunger at the same time. Cheap insurance IMO as I don't recall it was all that much $$. I have all of my old parts though if you want any of them

If you run into any problems feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm no expert but having just done this I should be able to help and it looks like we live close to each other.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Wincher

Well I was able to get it done in about an hour. It's was not too bad getting the bolts on the starter off and the contacts and plunger were super easy to do.

The instructions from Slee that Jeff posted the link to were the clincher.

You guys rock!

Winston