Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

The steering linkage, i.e., tie rod behind the axle and possible interference with the control arms makes a cut and turn very hard, from what I have been told. The 80 is a different B^&%.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 08-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Cut and turn does not work well on a 80 due to the tie-rod hitting the control arms.

So you say that you have 8 degrees in the front u-joint (at the diff). That does not sound right.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

I don't know what I am measuring anymore. My pinion flange is 4*. My t case flange is 4*. The stock shaft is at a 12* slope.

I am thinking either stock arms with the maf 4" drop brackets I have, or Slee arms by themselves. I think the blue bushings and the maf brackets are giving too much caster, but I need to measure it first. Will the Slee arms work with exactly 5" of lift up front?

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

An update: I obtained another set of control arms with stock bushings from Irbis Offroad and pulled the current arms with blue bushings. I got the pinion pointed back up to where I have a .5* u-joint operating angle and the vehicle drives very well with just the 4" drop brackets (I will get a caster reading next week).

I also exchanged the bad Taco shaft for one that has even bigger u-joints adjacent to the cardan pivot ball. The bearing caps don't have the external snap rings, and they look much bigger than the previous shaft. Since the junk yard wouldn't give me a refund, I dropped this shaft off at the driveline shop and the owner said it was the perfect one.

Now I will have 2 shafts made and will sell one of them in the future. One will be brand new with Spicer 1310 joints and thick-walled tubing, and the other will be the re-tubed and shortened Taco unit with thick-walled tube.

I will find out on Tuesday how well everything drives.

Another benefit is that I can sell my old lift complete with arms that have caster bushings already installed for the buyer's convienience.