Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via Yahoo to Hants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I realize now that I'll probably never see the big benefit to this mod. I never exceed 4000 rpm's, and rarely go above 3500, would only do that going up I-70 towards the tunnel or something. So I probably never get into open loop?
We don't have a enough data on various rigs yet to really have this OPEN/CLOSED thing characterized yet. If we can get more locals to post up their info, we'll get a better idea of patterns.

I'll bet you see noticeable differences. If nothing else, the little extra oomph is a blessing.

I've only seen one post here or on MUD of NO increase in MPG, and, IIRC, that was only on one particular route.

Do you have a SG? If so, monitor when/how often you're in open loop (at a minimum), before and after the MAF.

"that guy down in Colorado Springs" - Jeff

"Damn you, Hants White!" - CruiserDan

"Wanna race?" - Bill Morgan

"Live long, love lots, cruise often." - Robert Fortune
Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I realize now that I'll probably never see the big benefit to this mod. I never exceed 4000 rpm's, and rarely go above 3500, would only do that going up I-70 towards the tunnel or something. So I probably never get into open loop?

I've always had this theory that the my big ol' 1FZ-Fe will last longer if I didn't push it so hard, and 5 minutes more drive time is nothing plus I'll use less gas and oil.. but maybe I'm just a pansy.
I never saw, and haven't realized, mpg as the benefit. Engine smoothness under better power delivery at higher RPM has been the clear benefit for me, and it sounds like I drive more like you do (I cruise at 65-70).

This mod may allow more driver behavior flexibility, and therefore mpg increase via throttle management, but without changing any variable but the MAF/sensor I haven't seen any increase in fuel economy. I can actually pass up high on I-70 now, where before I was always in the slow lane, and my engine isn't really loud during the process.

I think the mpg benefit is emerging in a $4/gallon world were justifying the cost to works when you can calculate a short term breakeven. I just don't think it's the MAF that's getting you there as much as it's driving style, outside of saying that more power can enable less of the skinny pedal.

Much like my 5.29's. I have picked up 1-2 mpg increase, but only if I keep speed down under 70. If I still want to drive 75, I still get 12 mpg. But I have good power delivery at 65 because I'm up in the power band with higher RPM, so if I'll cruise at 65-68 I get the better economy. Same would have been true I am sure with the stock gears, except RPM was so low it was bogging all the time at our altitude (notice the posts on MUD above improving mpg by going up to 285's at sea level).

So the big benefit on the label isn't mpg, but it may be an achievable output with a modification of driving style. You and I may have simply already had that modified driving style, so a bit mo' powa and NVH reduction are the only real benefits to this mod (I think those are bigger on a pig on 35's anyway).
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

I've always had this theory that the my big ol' 1FZ-Fe will last longer if I didn't push it so hard, and 5 minutes more drive time is nothing plus I'll use less gas and oil.. but maybe I'm just a pansy.

Tim,

You would probably be surprised, as I was, at how often your rig goes into OPEN loop. It would have been easier to collect the data had I had a computer with software that would record the data for later analysis. As it was a challenged to try to monitor the SG for the exact moment the LX would go into OPEN loop while driving so instead I just started to watch for consistent parameters. I would say more often than not once the RPMs hit 3500 the LX would go into OPEN loop but it is hard to catch because the values change so quickly. Watching the LOD and TPS values is easier because they don't change as fast.

I'm seriously considering 4.88 gears despite only running 285s just to get the rig to run in a more efficient power band. Often just to get the LX moving on some of the switch backs on Berthoud pass after a tight 20 mph corner the tranny would shift down into first. Instant OPEN loop at that moment and the second the LX would upshift into 2nd it would start to bog down. If I could keep the speed up and the LX in the 3500 RPM range then I could generally keep her in CLOSED loop going up the hill. I wasn't trying to set any speed records, just stay close to the speed limit

Now that I have some baseline data for my rig I should be able to see what, if any, changes the MAF mod will have on my rig. I'm holding off until I get the tune up done so as to not have any of those effects blurring the advantages (if any) of the MAF mod.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Now that I have some baseline data for my rig I should be able to see what, if any, changes the MAF mod will have on my rig. I'm holding off until I get the tune up done so as to not have any of those effects blurring the advantages (if any) of the MAF mod.
Speaking of tune-ups: If your O2 sensors are > 100K, you should consider refreshing them along with your normal tune-up stuff (plugs, wires, cap & rotor, air filter). And check to make sure your exhaust isn't too crunched (particularly where it goes under the frame rail, and at the end after the resonator).

Old 07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
Speaking of tune-ups: If your O2 sensors are > 100K, you should consider refreshing them along with your normal tune-up stuff (plugs, wires, cap & rotor, air filter). And check to make sure your exhaust isn't too crunched (particularly where it goes under the frame rail, and at the end after the resonator).
Hmmm...The LX has ~108K miles on it and I'm sure the O2 sensors are the originals. I considered replacing them but the comments I had read were to leave them be until they start throwing a code . Maybe I should consider going ahead and doing them anyway?

As for my exhaust...It is fine except the end which is squished, yet again, due to CM . But, I seem to be getting slightly better gas mileage since CM08 so I was thinking the extra exhaust restriction was helping
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

There are several threads on MUD regarding the O2 sensors and their (perported?) affect on performance. My experience with pre-hard-failure-replacement was positive (mileage up a bit, power up a bit, sleep quality much improved).

I finally gave up on my exhaust tip and took a sawzall to it.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hants View Post
There are several threads on MUD regarding the O2 sensors and their (perported?) affect on performance. My experience with pre-hard-failure-replacement was positive (mileage up a bit, power up a bit, sleep quality much improved).

I finally gave up on my exhaust tip and took a sawzall to it.

Good info on the O2 sensors...I'll have to look into them then.

As for the exhaust tip...We discussed the sawzall mod after CM07 but I still have not done it - the squished tip is like a badge of honor for me
TLCA #17037

:

Old 07-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Sawed my exhaust tip off after Henley goaded me into it. My MPG subsequently increased by 0.00185%.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I put my new MAF sensor in last weekend and didn't notice the rough idle that some have reported. The engine was cold but I had the ECU unplugged for a few hours so that may have helped. It made me feel good that a mod was bringing my '95 up to date with a newer technology and that alone was worth it to me. Unlike the snake oil remedies for better economy and performance, this was an actual update. First impression is that the engine appears to be smoother at higher RPMs. The usual tune up items like plugs, wires, etc. are all original to the truck and have been under the bonnet for 178,000 miles. Those will be next...
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133