Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 AM
treerootCO's Avatar
treerootCO treerootCO is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,429
Send a message via AIM to treerootCO
Default FZJ80 tech - heater not hot

As the cooler mornings have moved in, I have noticed the heater is not hot. I have yet to determine if the engine temp is related and/or the valve isn't working. On hot days with the A/C on for a bit, I can get the gauge to climb and the air coming from the vents is hot. On cool days like this morning, the gauge barely climbs, about 1/8" of an inch up from hot, with the temp gauge mod. Both front and rear heaters seem to blow cold air. I will dig into it at lunch, just looking for the known issues/gotchas that most 80 owners already know about. Thanks in advance.
__________________
aka Mike D.----->Bio Page KDøGWY
“He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is.”—James Thurber
"Its better to be thought a fool rather than to speak up and remove all doubt." - Lincoln
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,129
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
As the cooler mornings have moved in, I have noticed the heater is not hot. I have yet to determine if the engine temp is related and/or the valve isn't working. On hot days with the A/C on for a bit, I can get the gauge to climb and the air coming from the vents is hot. On cool days like this morning, the gauge barely climbs, about 1/8" of an inch up from hot, with the temp gauge mod. Both front and rear heaters seem to blow cold air. I will dig into it at lunch, just looking for the known issues/gotchas that most 80 owners already know about. Thanks in advance.
Since it's both front and rear heaters I would suspect the hot water control valve on the firewall behind the engine.
__________________
KØUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 AM
SteveH SteveH is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Colo Springs
Posts: 1,282
Default

The thermostat would be high on my list of things to check. Either use your hands or a IR thermometer and check the differential between your heater core feed hoses, and check the upper and lower radiator hoses, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,129
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The thermostat would be high on my list of things to check. Either use your hands or a IR thermometer and check the differential between your heater core feed hoses, and check the upper and lower radiator hoses, etc.
He stated that the engine temps were normal....that pretty much rules out T-stat being the problem.
__________________
KØUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 AM
treerootCO's Avatar
treerootCO treerootCO is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,429
Send a message via AIM to treerootCO
Default

I suspected the valve, just needed options in case the valve wasn't to blame. Went out this morning and gave her a tug and....POP! Works flawlessly now
__________________
aka Mike D.----->Bio Page KDøGWY
“He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is.”—James Thurber
"Its better to be thought a fool rather than to speak up and remove all doubt." - Lincoln
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,129
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
I suspected the valve, just needed options in case the valve wasn't to blame. Went out this morning and gave her a tug and....POP! Works flawlessly now
__________________
KØUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
MDH33's Avatar
MDH33 MDH33 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Land of Corn
Posts: 5,779
Default

I'm having the same issue with my FJ60. Is there a comparable valve I can check?
__________________
--Martin
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
wesintl's Avatar
wesintl wesintl is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in da house
Posts: 7,535
Send a message via AIM to wesintl
Default

yes.. it's on the firewall. it's a 3 way connection iirc. A little wire from the control panel moves the valve open or closed.
__________________
See you on the trail
WØREK
Couple o' FJ40's, BJ70, UZJ100, TDI 66FJ40,82FJ60,97FZJ80
TLCA#4180
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.