Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default 80 Series? - valve cover

can you get the valve cover off without removing the throttle body looking thingy that overhangs it? i am planning on replacing the valve cover gasket and the plug gaskets but that piece is in my way.

if i do have to remove it, i'm betting there's a gasket there...will i need anything else?
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I think you'll be best off just removing that throttle body thingy- not sure if you can wiggle the valve cover out beneath it or not, but kind of doubt it, though I've actually never pulled mine off myself so what do I know. But I have removed the throttle body, and there are just 4 bolts that hold it on, and once off you can squirt a bunch of throttle body cleaner through it, plus squirt some in the intake manifold.. both of which are really good PM things to do. Endless threads on throttle body cleaning can be found on mud...

and if you put a board across your fenders you can sit on that while you do this.

edit: and yes, there is a throttle body gasket but it's metal and can be reused in almost all cases.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

cool...that will save me having to get one.
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
can you get the valve cover off without removing the throttle body looking thingy that overhangs it? i am planning on replacing the valve cover gasket and the plug gaskets but that piece is in my way.

if i do have to remove it, i'm betting there's a gasket there...will i need anything else?
No!

No. The TB is engine coolant cooled so if you move it very far you will need to drain the antifreeze a bit. If the plug wires have been on there for a long time you might end up also needing new wires. Be sure, if that happens, to be sitting down when you ask how much!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
No!

No. The TB is engine coolant cooled so if you move it very far you will need to drain the antifreeze a bit. If the plug wires have been on there for a long time you might end up also needing new wires. Be sure, if that happens, to be sitting down when you ask how much!
You talking just that square thing? that the big hose from the air cleaner connects to? I don't remember any coolant lines, just a couple vacuum lines and some plugs..

And Ige I've got an older set of cap & plug wires you can have if you need, worked fine when removed. Yeah the new ones were bank.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
And Ige I've got an older set of cap & plug wires you can have if you need, worked fine when removed. Yeah the new ones were bank.
Ditto

If you're REALLY energetic you can have the plug wires off the 's 80 that are marked 2006...But you have to put the new 2007 ones on her 80 first (yes, I should learn to check before I blindly order stuff sometimes )
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

dang...you guys didn't pay too much attention a year ago when you all got me parts...i got me a new cap and wires already

i'm not thinking of the whole plenum...just the little part that sticks over the valve cover that bolts to the intake plenum.
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
dang...you guys didn't pay too much attention a year ago when you all got me parts...i got me a new cap and wires already
But that was so long ago now who can remember who got what, when, and where. I remember having a with you though
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater